I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Forget Me Not...

Hiya!
Hope your new year is off to a great start. The project I'm sharing today I actually made several months ago, but I don't remember ever sharing the pictures with you. 
The young women I work with love doing Secret Santa or Secret Sister. And we wanted to find a way to build more unity amongst the girls. So we came up with our very own Forget Me Not program. Basically, the girls draw a name "from a hat" each month and they focus on that girl (or leader) throughout the month. The idea isn't to spend money but to find ways to know that she is remembered.  Cared for. Loved. We gave them ideas such as sending a note or letter, text messages, phone calls, plate of cookies, etc... Anyway, we needed a "hat."
I decided a plain old bowl just wasn't good enough. Using the floral theme, I created this octagonal shaped basket with rounded side panels. I wanted to leave space between the panels like a picket fence but then decided against it because I didn't want to lose the papers out the holes. Nothing says 'fun' like constantly picking papers up off the floor. Am I right?

Here is a picture of the backside of the bowl. As you can see I used gathered and inked book pages and a strip of coordinated paper all the way around.
The young women and leaders draw a new name at the beginning of each month, which means we've used this bowl at least five times now. At the beginning of each month the girls seem very excited to see who they will draw. But, like in life, we get easily distracted and sometimes forget. So I also remind them in our weekly emails to not forget about their Forget Me Not Sister. It's taken several months but I think the girls are really starting to come together. Care more about one another. And more importantly, know that they are not alone. That they have sisters ... friends that care about them.

Hope you're having a great week! Thanks for visiting.
Toodles.......

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea and I love the name drawing hat you have created. Wodnerful papers used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea..... Love those papers and your project.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!