I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Snakes!

Hiya!
Smiley from millan.netToday's project is brought to you by my son! Yep, it's true. Much to hubby's dismay, the boy likes to cut and glue and doodle like his mom! HA! :) He's pretty well rounded though. When not working on projects like this, he plays swords/sabers like a true Jedi or Ninja or pirate or whatever his character of choice is next. This project is for school. He had to make a display to go along with a report he is writing at school. It could be a diorama, poster, mobile, or whatever display he wanted to create. His topic: Snakes. Smiley from millan.net{Yay!} The main rule was that the student had to make the project not the parents. {Who me? I would never....Really, after years of helping doing my brother's homework in high school I was not going to do the same with my child.} Parents could "assist" but it had to be the student's work.

When I first thought of making a snake, I thought of using toilet paper or paper towel tubes, but I was fairly certain we wouldn't be able to come up enough of them in the allotted time. Then my son said, "I want it to be blue." To which I replied, "I think I have some blue paint or we could cover them with paper."  {Bing!}Smiley from millan.net  My idea light came on at that moment... Why cover with paper? Why not make from card stock?! We are talking about a seven year old kid with the attention span of a gnat. I need to be able to keep his attention on HIS project after all.

First step was cutting some 12x12 card stock down into strips. My son was afraid of not cutting straight lines so I told him I would draw the lines, but he had to cut. {See? Assisting.} Next, I showed him how if he used a cinnamon bottle from the spice cabinet all the tubes would be the same size (or fairly close). Then he could slide the tubes off and glue them. Remembering the attention span issue, I also pulled out some clothes pins so that he could use them to hold the tubes while they dried and he could move onto the next one. He caught onto the efficiency of that quickly. He made all of the tubes with very little help from mom. He had difficulty popping the holes on either side of the tubes so mom did have to step in with her mighty hand strength to assist there. Then he cut down string and tied them together.

Smiley from millan.netAfter gluing the front of the head piece flat and the end of the tail piece, he got out markers and colored. Then mom made a few decorating suggestions which he liked a lot so I showed him how to cut the 'rickrack' pieces using my Cricut and Plantin Schoolbook cart. Once again, he glued them into place, used the clothes pins to hold them while they dried, then trimmed off the excess.

And of course added some more details with the markers.Smiley from millan.net
And he's pretty pleased with his creation. They gave us two whole weeks to work on this project. We got it done in two days. I'm not 100% sure what they are expecting (or not expecting) but my son has told me it's done. He isn't going to add anything else to it. Maybe he'll change his mind over the course of the next couple day...? I guess we'll see.
Smiley from millan.net
Just a few more days of school for us next week and then 1st grade will be over. A little six-week break full of swimming lessons, movies, play dates... Can't wait!
Hope you are having a terrific day.  Thanks for visiting.
Toodles.....

2 comments:

  1. That's cute. What a great job he did.

    BTW, wow...only a 6 weeks break? That's nice that he won't have time to forget much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute... I love it when my kids want to "craft" with me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!