I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Congrats, Taylor!.... part 3 ***Picture heavy!***

Hiya!
The party continues....  What's a party without a gift (or two), right? Well, for Taylor's grad gift from her parents she requested a week at Disneyland. So she and her folks and some of the extended family are spending five fun-filled, magical days at the Happiest Place on Earth. To go along with her trip to the Magical Kingdom, I created an album for her to record her memories in.
The lettering and most of the specialty cuts you will see in the album came from the Mickey & Friends and Mickey Font Cricut cartridges. The Mickey borders you will see were created by me using shapes from Mickey & Friends and DesignStudio. I made the little badge creating a 1" green circle with the words "Magical Memories" repeated around the circle and then sandwiched it between the tiny star and the smallest circle die from the Spellbinders Star Circles set. The lettering and the green center of the badge were both glazed to add some shine and the star was glittered.

 The ribbon covers the seam where the two card stock papers overlap on the front cover. Before adhering the piece for the spine, I embossed it. I LOVE the added texture this gives. Ready to go inside???
You will see these fun icons scattered throughout the album. The sunglasses and the Mickey ice cream were creations that I made. The rest were all found on Mickey and Friends. I added glaze to the sun glass lenses, the sucker and ice cream, the buttons on Mickey's shorts, the car, and two of the stars. I also used a bit of gold Stickles on the two other stars and my markers to add additional shadow detail.







Inside the front cover there is a large pocket on the left, a long pocket with a tag that pulls out the top of the right hand page and an additional larger pocket with a pull-out page which pulls out to the side. (The picture on the left shows the tags in their pockets. The one on the right shows the tags pulled.) In addition, the little Mickey shorts icon is only attached on the its edges so that additional pictures, tags, mementos can be tucked underneath.









Page 2 and 3.... The page on the left is ready to accept a large 5x7 if you'd like. The tags easily slip behind the photo place holder attached to the left side of the page. There is also a fun tag which can be used for journaling or even some photo booth pics which slip inside the photo place holder (I forgot to pull that tag from its spot in in pic #2 but it's that yellow piece behind Mickey's hands.)







Page 4 and 5 .... The left hand side features another large panel for a big pic or maybe a collage of smaller ones. Another photo place holder is attached to the bottom of the page.  You can slip tags or pics behind it and slip a narrow tag inside (red-and-white striped this time). There is a small half (or I guess it's more like a 1/3) pocket-page to the right with a pull-out, folded tag. When you flip that page, you find another long narrow spot to add photos and a large pocket with a page that pulls out to the side. Again, Donald's hat is only attached on the edges so pictures or mementos can easily be slipped behind.







Pages 6 and 7... More large, medium and small panels. More tags. More fun details! The right hand pocket page on this page folds out to reveal the large side-entry pocket with tag and an additional large panel to add more pics, journaling and mementos. The little corner detail where the rose is can easily accommodate one or more pictures or tags.







Pages 8 and 9...  This summer Disney/California Adventure is revealing its newest attraction... Cars Land! And of course it is on Taylor's Must-See list. So of course I had to include a place of honor for Lightning McQueen in the album. Again a little corner strap to hold tags and pictures, a 1/3 pocket page with a folded tag, a long narrow pocket with a tag and a large side entry pocket with pull-out page.







Pages 10 and 11... In order to make the scrap of character paper fill the space I needed to cover, I cut it down into it's elements and glued it down onto white card stock that was cut to fit the space on the left side page. I loved how it turned out so much that I didn't want to cover it up with additional fluff so the little corner strap is vellum.





Pages 12 and 13... More character paper this time on a tag slipped behind a corner strap adorned with "Disney hands" on the left. Another 1/3 pocket page and another large side-entry pocket with pull-out.








Pages 14 and 15.... The fun continues! More pockets, tags and panels to add pics and mementos.








Pages 16 and 17 (inside the back cover)... Can you believe all the space to add memories into this book. It may take here several trips to Disneyland to fill it up.

Phew! My original vision was something simple, maybe a couple pages, but when I saw Kathy's All Occasion Mini Album I decided to expand my vision. And I have to say, it took me the better part of every free minute I had from Monday until Friday when we went out the door to go to the party to finish it. In fact, I finished at around 4:15pm on Friday, snapped the pictures you see above as fast as I could,....
... including a bit of help from my son, wrapped it up in a gift bag with tissue and went out the door at 4:33pm. Jaime's home is 50 minutes away and I had to get there in time to help with the decorations before the guests showed up at 6pm.

It was all worth it and I'd do it again. We are so proud of Taylor. She has not let the issue of having Down Syndrome stop her from trying new things and achieving her goals. Yes, it may have taken her two years longer than a typical teen to graduate from high school, but she did it. She didn't drop out. Along the way she took dance classes and drama too. She had lots of tutoring help as well as plenty of help from her parents and siblings and friends. And in the fall, she will be attending college in a special program for kids just like her. It's amazing how far society has come. I remember when I was little there was a boy who had down syndrome. He didn't go to school with us. I don't know if they institutionalized him or what but he would disappear for months and then reappear around holidays. Now, these kids (and their parents and care givers) are taught that all is not lost. That they can learn and grow and develop if only a little bit more effort is applied. It's a wonderful thing!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kathy's album designs are so fantastic. And her tutorials walk you through every step of the way so well. I just love them! Special thanks to Kathy for sharing her wonderful creations!! With the exception of choosing my own papers for this project and altering the tall, skinny pocket from a center cut out tag entry to a diagonal opening, I followed the tutorial. And it turned out fantastic! Just ask everyone that saw it.  (hopefully they weren't just being nice to my face.)

Thanks so much for visiting. Have a great day!
Toodles....

FYI....
Papers came from SandyLion and DCWV.
Black cardstock: Recollections (Michael's)
Yellow cardstock: The Paper Store, Bazzil
Ribbon: Celebrate It 360 (Michael's)
Glaze: ModPodge Dimensional Glaze
Vellum: PaperTreyInk
Markers: Bic Mark-It

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Awesome! Love all the details.

    Hugs Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This special graduation keepsake album is definitely a labour of love. All the time you spent with all the wonderful details...all the tags, the pocket pages...make this such an amazing gift. I'm sure Taylor LOVED this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!