I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

I Choose...

Hiya!
I think I've mentioned it before (more than a few times, I'm sure) that I work with the youth in the church I attend. They are such great kids. Well, one of our leaders is leaving soon. So in secret we've gotten together to create this gift for him. He will be receiving it at a surprise party which is being thrown for him coming up in the very near future. I'm nearly 100% sure he has no idea I have a blog so don't go sharing if you  know who I'm talking about, OK?
We would have loved to have gotten him a nice authentic gumball machine but the price was waaaaay outside of our budget (See Congress, this is how it's done... you don't just buy on credit all the time!.... Stepping off the soap box now.) So, we decided to go with the idea of creating our own gumball machine using a bubble bowl and some terracotta pieces. Inside the machine, the cellophane wrapped gumballs are individually wrapped with a personal message from one of the youth along with a picture to go with their message.

Since a big part of leading and guiding youth is encouraging them to choose wisely, we thought the chew-y gumballs was a fun way to let the departing leader know that the kids intend to continue to follow his example in making good choices. And since he's first and foremost a guy and secondly, an attorney by profession, we decided to not go too cutesy or silly with the design ("choose" instead of "chews", no fluff or extra swirly bits, stuff like that). I kept it simple, just adding a few coats of varnish over the red paint to give it some shine. Tied around the center a scrap of striped ribbon, which will eventually have a gift tag hanging from it. "I choose" lettering was added using white vinyl to the bottom rim of the gumball machine.

Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Hopefully the recipient will like it also.
Well, that's it for today. Hope you all are having a wonderful day! Thanks for stopping by to take a peek.
Toodles.....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: I don't know who originated the idea but you will find a couple different ways to create them just by searching the web. Honestly, I don't remember where I saw it first. When the lady that needed the gift came to me and wanted to use gumballs and "I Choose" and a gumball machine, I explained to her the idea of creating the gumball machine using terracotta and a bowl due to the cost of purchasing a real gumball machine being cost prohibited. My apologies if you feel like I stole your idea and didn't give you credit. I sincerely don't know where I first saw the idea. So, in an effort to give credit to whomever may want it, here are some links that I found by typing "gumball machine terracotta" into a search engine. I can also honestly say, after visiting all of these sites I don't remember ever seeing any of them before writing this addendum.

Faux Gumball Machine by Jane Lake (2006) 
eHow: How to Craft a Gumball Machine (2012)
eHow: Crafting Using TerraCotta (no date)
Make a Gumball Candy Dish (2005)
I{heart}NapTime: DIY Candy jar (October, year?)
Crafting With Intention: Gumball Machine (2011)
Roberts Arts & Crafts: Gumball machine (no date but likely 2009 due to feature on ABC4News
Home Confetti: Gumball Machine (2011)
Gumball Machine by Kara Allen for HGTV (2011)
Dandelions and Dustbunnies: Bubble gum Machine (2011)
CJaneBlog: Christmas craft (2009) ***this one I had pinned on Pinterest but had forgotten about***

6 comments:

  1. Awesome - what a good idea. he's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my sweet Jen!!! What an awesome gumball machine project!!! He will love it!

    It's been a while since I've visited; been so busy, but I'm glad I made it to see another of your extraordinaire projects!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are suc a stickler for credit, why are you not doing so here???

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can tell me who to give credit to I will

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project Jen! Ignore the ignorant! I made these clay pot gumball machines for my kids' teachers when they were in Kindergarten back in 1994!!! And I got the instructions from a magazine that was several years old. The idea for this project has been around forever! You added a great twist with the notes from the kids, so ignore those who think they are the FIRST AND ONLY ones to make something! I was blasted {and I mean blasted with name calling and all} on the Cricut MB by someone who insisted I had stolen her shoe project {which I didn't}. . . only to find out she had stolen the idea from someone else. Some people need to get over themselves! Craft on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks TrentFamily. Will do. :)
    crafty hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!