I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Giving crochet a try

Last year Nicole Heady gave herself a challenge to create a crocheted flower. I was so impressed that I decided that I wanted to try it too.  It only took me ... um... 10 months. I walked into the library a few weeks ago and found this book facing me on the New Releases table.  I decided it was a sign that the time had come for me to give the flower embellishment at try.


Four weeks later and at least two extensions at the library so I wouldn't have to return the book just yet, I finally sat down today and created a flower.


The string was something I'd had in my craft closet from some other project. And the crochet hook... I don't even have a clue where it came from. It probably was included in a tool kit that I purchased years ago. I think the only time I've ever used it was when I needed to turn out a corner that I had sewn on a baby blanket.

Now, I can happily say that I have used it for its intended purpose. Forgive my lack of modesty but I'm totally proud of myself. lol I don't think I'll give up papercrafting for making them full time but should I ever need one of these little lovelies for a project that I'm working on, now I'll know how to do it.

Hope your Sunday is beautiful!
Toodles....

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the completion of the beautiful crochet flower. I would be proud as well. I knitted for years but I was left handed and there was no one who could teach me to crochet. My mother crocheted those delicate doilies and lamp shades but I just couldn't learn. Finally when I was about 40, I found a book for left handed crochet and I was on my way. I crocheted abot 40 afghans and held onto them for dear life because I was so proud of what I had finally accomplished.
    . I love your little flower....
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you also Jen for taking that big step and trying to crochet. My sister has been doing simple stitches to make blankets only because she doesn't understand how to read the crochet directions. Hat's off to you. Crocheting is one of my many past endeavors as is fabric painting, cake decorating, cross stitching and now paper crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out so pretty, Jen! Only 10 months, huh? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny because I just posted today about making crocheted flowers! Of course my reasoning wasn't as noble - I'm just too cheap to buy them :)

    Nice job - it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, that is really pretty. Good on you for tacklin' such a job. I call it a "job" cuz I can't crochet a flower, for the love of me. I'm able to crochet a blanket --- w/ straight stitches but when it comes to the joining, double looping, etc. etc. --- I just can't seem to get it. I'm going to see if I can find that book you found.:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!