I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How To: Make Hydrangea Flower

I'm back today with the tutorial on how I put together my hydrangea flowers.

First, gather your supplies. Of course you need to plug in your hot glue gun first so it can be nice and hot when you're ready to go. Next, use your Cricut to cut out the blossoms and the leaves.  Below, I used cream cardstock and then inked up the edges of each  blossom's petal with blue ink. You could use any ink color you have. They look great in pink, purple, orange, red, blue, green.... Since hydrangeas naturally come in so many colors the options are endless.
{Read more after the jump...}


Then I took a strip of paper that was 1" x 11" and wadded it up into a tight ball. The scrap of paper can be any color since you will be covering it with the blossoms. Before it was too tight, I smashed it onto my counter so it had a flat bottom to it. Continue to force it into the domed shape until it is nice and tight. To keep the ball intact, I used a bit of hot glue anywhere it seemed to want to unfold/loosen from the dome shape. This is the base of the hydrangea.

Then holding each blossom I folded up the petals to form a cup shape.

They should all look a little like this:

This picture is rotten, sorry.  It's time to glue the blossoms to the dome. I'm trying to show that you want to hold the blossoms by their petals and put the hot glue on the bottom of the "cup."

Another bad pic... sorry! I need to get a camera where I can turn off the flash. Attach the petal to the domed wad of paper. 

Continue adding blossoms to the dome until you've made a row of blossoms all the way around the base of the dome.

Then fill in the top with the rest of the blossoms to complete the hydrangea.

You can stop there.... Or you can add some fun color/beads/glitter to the center to each blossom. I used a bright orange Stickles but you could also use a dimensional paint, or pearls or beads... again the options are endless.
Last but not least, I cut the leaf-cut out of some green cardstock, folded each leaf lengthwise and then made some additional folds to create the veins. I also used my fingernail to distress the edges of each leaf.  Then inked the green leaf with some lavender ink.  Glue the hydrangea flower to the leaves.
And that's all she wrote! I hope you have fun making hydrangea flowers.
Have a great night....

5 comments:

  1. How adorable!!! Thanks for the tutorial, Jen!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, this is so pretty. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Jen and thanks I like the paper ball idea very well. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, it's beautiful!!

    p.s. I have a Blog Award waiting for you, on my blog. :-)

    Linda
    http://ladybuglair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!