I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

How to: Handmade Stickpins

Hi everyone,
Today I have a quick tutorial on how to make the stickpins I used in the card I showed you yesterday.


You will want to work on a silicone or non-stick craft mat. The one I use is a semi-translucent white mat that I picked up at a craft store 12 or 15 years ago. I haven't seen them in stores lately but some of the new non-stick craft mats (similar to the baking mats) should be just fine. Or, you could give the Hot Glue Gun Helper a shot.

Next you will need to get yourself some head pins from the jewelry area at your craft store.  I found a bag of 2" length head pins, 165 pieces, for $3.  With a 40% off coupon that's less than $2.


And, this is another glue gun  project so while you're gathering your supplies you'll want to plug in your HOT glue gun.  Give it a good 20 minutes or so to get nice and hot Smiley from millan.net before you try to make these pins.

Place a headpin on your mat. Then use your glue gun to make the heart.  I plopped a small dollop of glue just beyond the edge of pin's head and then pulled back toward the pin. Then placed a second small dollop to the right of the first and pull back again over the pin in a "V" formation to make the heart.
Let the pin cool. Inspect your decorated pin. If you have any funny lumpy bumpy areas, just take the pin and lightly brush the cooled glue against the tip of your hot glue gun to remelt and change any bits that need to be altered.

Once the "bead" is cooled you can decorate it.  There are a number of options:
First I tried opaque marker. This is a pink metallic marker that I found at my office supply store. It covered really well. And it had a nice pearlescent appearance to it.

Then I tried some glitter glue.  Because the glitter is suspended in a clear liquid it needed two coats to get full coverage.

Last but not least, I tried a loose glitter.  I debated on the various types of adhesives to use so the glitter would stick and decided on a glaze.  I schmeared a bit on....

...and then plunged the bead into a container of loose glitter.

Oooo aaaaah! Pink glittery goodness!  Smiley from millan.net

The glaze did add a bit more dimension to the original 'bead' size but I think all three options turned out really great.

I ended up only using two of the three pins on my card. Not because I didn't like the third pin but because I thought three was a bit overkill.
I hope this idea is something you can use. I'm going to give round beads a try next!
Enjoy your weekend!Smiley from millan.net

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Yes the pins would work fine on the Hot Glue Gun Helper mat. Cooled hot glue peels perfect and paints and glues don't stick either!

    Happy Crafting~ Cathie Filian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo smart and absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, thanks for the tut on this. Really cute!!

    BTW, love your blinkie --- it's now on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting!
    Have to find one of those mats so I can try to make a few. My favorite is the pearlescent one.
    PJ(Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks I love this idea. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!