I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Fun Ribbon Organization Ideas

Hiya!
I don't know about you, but this is what my ribbon storage looks like. (Well, until today that is...)  I decided to do something about it.


I found a couple really fun, easy and inexpensive ideas to wrangle my ribbon.  The first one came from a picture of a product in a catalog that I received at my house. When I saw it I showed it to my hubby. His immediate response, "You could make that."  Thanks honey. Sometimes I forget that I have the tools and capabilities to do this stuff!


I made a run to M's this morning to spend some Christmas money and found the bits and pieces that I needed for next to nothing.  The little wooden base was $1.99 and the dowel pieces were $2.99.  (I had a 40% off coupon but I used it on another little crafty gadget.)  If I can do this so can you. Here is how I made my own ribbon spindle:


I started by marking the center of the wooden base.


I measured the depth of the wooden base....


... then used masking tape to mark a stopping point that was 1/4" shallower than the depth of the base on the drill bit. (I didn't want to drill all the way through the base.)

I clamped the base to the counter in my kitchen. (The rags keep the clamps from marking the wood.) 

I lined up the drill bit tip with the mark I made on the wood and "pulled the trigger."  For those that haven't used a drill before, you don't need a lot of speed, but you do need to apply some pressure to push the drill bit into the wood. Otherwise it will just spin and scratch. Pine is soft a little pressure goes a long way.

Next, I flipped the base over, marked the center, and drilled a hole and a counter sink area for the screw.  (I also pre-drilled a hole in the end of the dowel for the screw. Sorry no picture of that.)



To put the spindle together I simply placed the dowel into the hole and then used a screw through the bottom hole to secure it into place. Most of the bolts of ribbon I had fit beautifully, but I had a few that needed to go onto the spindle but didn't fit.  Grrr!  (See that red one up there...?  It didn't originally fit.)


For those pesky bolts that have a smaller hole here's my quick fix for that...  Just take the bolt and feed it onto a pair of standard adult-size scissors. Then twist adding a bit of pressure. The pressure of the metal edge of the scissors scraping around the hole will make the hole larger. You'll want to flip the bolt over and repeat to clean up the hole on the other side.


Next...  For those near-empty bolts that only have a small bit of ribbon left on them I found this idea:  
Wrap and pin the scraps of ribbon around a wooden doll pin.  I have found these at a couple different craft stores for $2.99 for a bag of 30 pins.

And collect them in a glass jar.... Like a gathering of ladies all dressed in their finery.  (How cute is that?!! )

If nothing else, by getting my fibers organized I've noticed I seem to have a thing for red and black ribbons...

I hope if you're struggling to keep your ribbons under control that one of these ideas will work for you.

3 comments:

  1. Great ways to help organize ribbons! Thanks so much for sharing! I love stopping by your blog to see what new things you've come up with! I'm always inspired. If you have time, stop by and visit me at One By One The Flamingos Are Stealing My Sanity at http://karelj.blogspot.com and let me know what you think of my current projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister saw an idea several years ago and we all followed her lead and organized our ribbon the same way. We take I think 2" X 3" pieces of heavier chipboard scraps and wind the ribbon off of the spools on to the chipboard and then pin or tape the end. We then keep them by color in those plastic boxes from Michael's that are used to hold 12 X 12 paper and or page layouts. To wind the ribbon we used a little gadget she found at Michael's that I think is normally used to wind floss. It has eliminated so much bulk and is so easy to see and access what you want. I could send you a picture if you want. You would love it! It does take time but once you get it done, it is wonderful. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crafty AND handy with tools...you are a catch!
    I especially like the clothes pin idea and how you've described the ribbon. Very poetic :0)
    PJ(Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!