I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Quilled Poinsettia Holiday card

Hi Everyone,
I'm not the type of person that skips over Thanksgiving and moves straight on to Christmas. Really, I'm not. But with 60 cards and ornaments to design and create, I start working on Christmas items in April.  And knowing how sporadic my schedule has been lately, I think I better take advantage of the making and posting while I can, right? With that understanding in mind, I have a little Christmassy something to share.Smiley from millan.net

It all started when Kathy introduced me to the quilled flowers that were introduced at CHA and wondered if it was possible to make them for DesignStudio/Gypsy. First I made a daisy version.  Hmm... not bad. Maybe a few too many petals but that can be easily remidied.



Then, I attempted a Rose/Carnation version. Again, I wouldn't say it's perfection but I'd definitely say I'm on the right track.


And then I moved on to the reason I started down this path... a Poinsettia!  Poinsettias in general don't have as many bracts (what many people think are the petals) as a daisy or rose so it was less complicated in that way. But finding the right shape on a cartridge that I owned took a bit of research.  I'm very pleased with how they turned out.


I made a small (1 1/2"), medium (1 3/4") and then an extra small (1") pattern.  And then I decided they needed to be put to good use!


They give wonderful dimension to anything they are added too! Smiley from millan.net

Smiley from millan.net Yup!  Happy Happy!  Again hubby took the camera with him so I was limited to my cell phone for the pictures. Sorry. I hope you can see how cool these little babies are.
Hope you are all having a wonderful Saturday!




Details:
  • Cricut, DesignStudio and Joys of the Season cartridge (ProvoCraft)   .cut or .gypsy file is available. Please specify when requesting.
  • Cuttlebug, embossing folder Swiss Dot (ProvoCraft)
  • Stamps: Very Vintage Christmas, Very Vintage Labels2 (WaltzingMouseStamps)
  • Cardstock: Kraft (PaperTreyInk), White (GeorgiaPacific), Red (from my stash)
  • Ink: Fresh Snow (PaperTreyInk), Cranberry (Colorbox), Versamark
  • Other: white embossing powder (Stampendous), Stardust pen (Sakura), Gold Stickles (Ranger), Ribbon, red and green paper.

5 comments:

  1. I think your poinsettia is fabulous. And the card is so pretty. I don't consider starting Christmas crafts in November skipping Thansgiving. We all have to do it that way. tfs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very good, definitely like poinsettias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jen, these are great. I so want this file, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same thought when I saw those cuttlebug dies. I made many many versions but was never able to save any of them. Even after many hours with Provo Crafts tech support! Frustrating! But they have been so much fun. I tend to go big rather than small with this type of project, so have used them on decor projects. I don't have a blog yet but enjoy checking on you talented creative ladies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!