I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Never too far from home

Did you all have a fantastic holiday weekend?Smiley from millan.net  Anyone still dreaming about what to do with their turkey feast leftovers?? Smiley from millan.net  Last night I was wishing I had turkey feast left overs. We traveled to see family this year so the left overs stayed at someone else's home. Smiley from millan.net Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time to reflect on our blessings. My life isn't the perfect picture I wish it could be but I still know that I am blessed. I have a loving family and friends I hold dear... some I only know via my blog or other online forums. I hope you all had a blessed Day of Thanks.


Today I'm showing off my most recent creation.  It's going to be gifted to my parents for Christmas so *Shhhh!* don't tell them about it, ok?!


After seeing Kathy's Fright Night haunted house album last October I decided I wanted to make one too. I played around with ideas for making my parents a Christmas themed one, but ultimately decided on making a house that could keep out as decor year round.  You see, at least half of their kids live away from them... as in at a least 6 hour car ride away. I live about 12-14 hours away by car. So I want them to be able to see their kids and grandkids and great-grandkids any time they want.


I was a bit worried I'd made a huge mistake when I first started. I mean, do you see that picture up there? That is NOT pretty!  The crackle effect turned out cool but the overall look of the house is U-G-L-Y! Smiley from millan.net Do you ever have a project like that? You have this grand idea. You get started and it's so bad in the beginning stages you almost throw the whole thing in the garbage?  Well folks, I almost trashed this one.


You may not have noticed, but I cut the base off the bottom of the house. It was not a flat base. It was a bit awkward in the front with the way the house album opens so I took my blade to it and just got rid of it.  Smiley from millan.net Sadly, by doing that I also had to go back and layer some cardstock over the areas where the walls met the floor which had started to split. Then of course I had to repaint in black, crackle medium and beige paint....  Once that was complete I was ready to put the paper on. I can not tell you how relieved I was once I got done with the paper and it started to look good again. *Phew!*Smiley from millan.netMajor improvement, right?!



Next I updated the door. And I used a large magnetic closer to keep the house closed (one magnet behind the door, it's opposite behind the paper  used to cover the outside of the house).


Inside the house, I created and glued into place eight (8) overlapping envelope pockets across the back wall. A ribbon with a decorative ribbon closure keeps those flaps contained and helps offer the additional space needed to add eight (8) additional envelope pockets on the side walls (four each).

Each envelope pocket holds a double sided pull-out tag with a simple re-enforced area at the top-center. I kept the tags simple so that there would be less likelyhood of adding too much bulk once the pictures are put in and then causing the tags not to fit in the pockets.


Last but not least, I added a bit of paper to the roof. I cut scalloped strips and glued them in place to give it a shingled look. My mom and dad are not super fru-fru types so the paper dresses up the roof without making it too over the top for my folks.

Smiley from millan.netToday's task is all about taking the pictures I've received from my siblings, nieces and nephews, sizing them down to fit the tags and pockets, and printing them out.  And, I've spotted a few places where I need to take a little black paint and clean up my sloppy painting from before.

That's all for now. Time to shake off what's left of my turkey-coma and get to work. Millan.net Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a great day!

Details:
  • Cricut Expression, DesignStudio, PlantinSchoolBook (PSB) cartridge (ProvoCraft)   .cut or gypsy files available for windows, or scallop strips, or envelopes. I maximized their space on the mat so you may need to snip the edges where the cricut doesn't cut. Click HERE for more information.
  • Large paper mache' house (HobbyLobby)
  • Patterned Paper: Wild Saffron (K & Co.
  • Cardstock: White (Georgia Pacific), Kraft and Black (Paper Co.)
  • Paint: Black (Basic), Toffee (....??... i'll find the bottle and fill in later), Crackle Medium (Delta)
  • Metal hardware: Lock brad (Joann's), copper mini brads and metal loop (MakingMemories)
  • Ink: Chestnut Roan (ColorBox), Antique Photo (Ranger)

9 comments:

  1. Now if that isn't the cutest little house album ever.. I love it. You are sooooo creative my friend. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Jen!!! It's just too stunning and I love it!!! Your parents are going to be just thrilled to received such a beautiful gift -- they really will!!!

    Hope you and your family had a wonderful and blessed thanksgiving, and thanks for stopping by!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen there sadly are not enough words to describe the wonder of this project. At first I thought it was one of the 3D two story houses and I was going to applaude you big time. Our DT had a challenge to make a 3D house and I failed miserably, ended up with a one story 3D "garage"...and then to my delight your "house" opened up to the most gorgeous album.Wow oh wow.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on Crayola58
    what a great project!!
    have to follow you
    Gaby
    gabycreates.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! a wonderful project. Your parents will treasure this. A lot of love went into it.

    Hope you and your family enjoyed Thanksgiving with your loved ones.
    PJ(Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! You took Kathy's design and ran with it. The paper is gorgeous. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, I really think this is a work of art and love!!!! Fabulous Girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome house, Jen. Your parents are gonna love it. I am giving you a Blog award... check it out at my blog: tukistryingtoscrap.blogspot.com!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!