I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chocolate Dipped Pretzels!

Did I get your attention?? Smiley from millan.net  I don't know about you, but for me there's just something super scrum-deli-icious about a chocolatey - salty combination.  It dates back to when I was a kid and we would go through the drive through at Wendy's and get a Frosty and fries.  Yum-Oh!  I decided to take these flavors and make a sweet treat for a few church friends.And OH it was so easy! I simply melted down some dark chocolate and dipped in some salted pretzel rods.   Of course, I didn't stop there. I needed to come up with a way to present these goodies to my friends. Smiley from millan.net This is what I came up with:

 

Of course I have a tutorial for you so you won't be guessing how to make something like this yourself.

First, start with a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock. You will need to score it at 3", 4", 7" and 8" along the 11" side. And score it at 1" along the 8 1/2" side

 

Next, you may* want to flip your card stock over and pre-fold along the scorelines.  You know you're supposed to fold the opposite side of the one that you fold, right??  Smiley from millan.net *This step isn't 100% necessary but some like to fold before they cut. Others like to fold after they cut.


Next,  You need to cut the lower left panel out, and cut along the 1" vertical scorelines at the bottom of the cardstock.  To help with folding this box together you may want to cut skinny triangles out instead of just straight lines as I did below:


To get the angled front, you will need to measure down 2 1/2" along the far left and far right panels, then using your scissors cut an angled line from that 2 1/2" mark to the scoreline that designates the center panel. For a squared off back panel, cut exactly to that scoremark. For a more angled back panel, go just beyond the scoremark into the center panel (like I did.)


It's time to add your double stick tape.  If you intend to decorate your box don't remove the backing off the tape just yet.


 It's definitely easier to decorate the box when it's flat than than after you've folded it into a box.


Remove the backing from the tape on the vertical panel only. Re-fold the box and adhere the front panel to the secondary front panel. You should be able to easily smash the box flat to secure the front panels together.


 Add any additional embellishments, then fold up the bottom and adhere.  Fill'er up!


See?!?!?!!  Easy peasy, right?!  I found the treat bags for the pretzels at Michael's. (Something like $4 for 50 bags with the silvery twist-ties.) I used a bit of jute to tie the bag closed.
 

This afternoon after my son gets home we'll go drop off these bundles of yumminess to my friends. I hope they like them.


Smiley from millan.net   Thanks for sharing in my desire to be Willy Wonka today. Hope you're enjoying your day.

Details:
  • Stamps: Halloween Party, Midnight Feast (WaltzingMouse)
  • Cardstock:  Kraft (PaperTreyInk), White (Georgia Pacific), Black (Walmart
  • Ink: Antique Linen (Ranger), Clear (Versamark)
  • Temple embellishment: SCAL2
  • Other: Chalks (Stampin Up!), Starburst Gelly Roll pen (Sakura), Ribbon (I don't remember... maybe Walmart), Buttons (The Paper Studio), Jute, foam adhesive, Scor-Tape

7 comments:

  1. love making these...just an fyi, you can easily add sprinkles to these while the chocolate is still melted...just sprinkle on before the chocolate hardens...yummo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I agree... sprinkles would have really taken these to the next level. Unfortunately, I didn't have any sprinkles in colors that matched my color palette. Red, blue, pink and green would have clashed :( And time was not on my side. I didn't have time to run to the store to find the right sprinkles. I also considered doing a white chocolate or white frosting 'scribble' line on them, but decided to keep it simple. I'll go gourmet next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your friends are going to love these.. and thank you for the directions to the box.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, this is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute Jen! Love the box! I am sure we could whip up a quick cut file for these cute little boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I considered making one... and then just didn't get to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!