I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Friday, September 17, 2010

WMS Blog Waltz! Halloween fun!

Good morning! Today is the Halloween themed WaltzingMouse Blog Waltz!!! {happy dance!!Smiley from millan.net}

This time of year is so much fun!  Halloween costumes and decorations are in the stores. (Yes, it's true that Christmas stuff is in the stores too but I'm trying to ignore that for at least another month.)  Massive quantities of "snack size" candy bags are available everywhere. Smiley from millan.net And the leaves are changing colors and the weather is cooling off.    Well, that's what is supposed to be happening.  We don't usually experience the changing of the leaves until November here in Phoenix. It's just not cool enough.  The good news though, is while we're still experiencing triple-digit daytime temps, the nights are starting to cool off a bit. For example, it's only supposed to be 78 degrees overnight tonight. {Heaven!!}

Y'all didn't stop by to hear me chat about the weather ...  Here's my project....  a fun hanging ball decoration:


I forget where I saw the idea but the one that I saw was made with cupcake wrappers.  In my minds eye I thought, wouldn't it be cute to have the cute "Wendy witch" on her broom flying past the moon in the night sky?  I didn't have yellow cupcake wrappers so instead I cut out some yellow circles, stamped them with the starry background and then ran them through my oaper crimper several times. Then I attached them to a Styrofoam ball.

 Wendy was stamped, glittered and layered over an accordion folded Lacy Circle layer and then attached to a wire which i pushed into the side of the ball.  You can see the ruffles of crimped paper in the above picture really well  And the Styrofoam too... oops! The funny thing is, you don't notice the Styrofoam in a normally lit room. It's not until it get hit with a bright light... like maybe a flash from a camera... that the Styrofoam is visible.Smiley from millan.net

Then to finish off the bottom, I cut out three Bats and stamped the flourish on their wings from the Vintage Labels 2 set. I heat embossed with white and then used my markers to color the flourishes orange, green and yellow. (Did you know you could color white embossed powder? I didn't until this project.)   Then folded them in half and glued them together to make them more dimensional. I ran a bit of embroidery floss through the middle and hung a stamped "Boo!" sign at the bottom.  I thought I'd like the little knot at the bottom but now that I see it in the pic I don't. I think I'll cut it off.  I stamped Boo! on both sides so if it spins you still see the word.

That's it!  Easy peasy!
I hope you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for stopping by.Smiley from millan.net

Details:

17 comments:

  1. Jen - this is such a wonderful card. I just adore the lacy way you did your flower. It's beautiful and goes wonderfully with your images. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative and adorable idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jen! what a fun decoration! this looks terrific hanging there - how very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, this is such a wonderful decoration! Love the fun hanging ball from the yellow circles and the fun medallion for the witch! Fun fun fun or should I say spooky spooky spooky? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Halloween deco - love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little project! I like the idea of the witch flying by the yellow moon and the added bats and boo are perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative Jen.. this is just too cute. I am so glad to see you posting, I have missed your amazing projects. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic project, Jen! This is such a creative idea - love Halloween decor! So glad you could waltz with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius! Making your own "cupcake wrappers"! Your creativity is awesome...love the decoration. What styrofoam?....grin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun decoration...so light and fluffy! Love the colors and the sparkly witch...your MY CANDY smiley is cracking me right up...had to sit and watch it a few times :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great Halloween decoration..I am laughing all the way threw your post I to love the My Candy smiley..Way to funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun project!!! I can just imagine this decorating for the party - how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how fun! Love the big, bright yellow ball with the lil' shimmery witch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect! The moon hanging ball is a great idea and the witch and bats just make it perfect! Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great decoration - I especially love the accordion fold piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE THIS!!!! So Fun and Festive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love how you mention "easy peasy" - yeah right ;) i love how your halloween decoration came together. great idea on running the circles through the crimper. love how you matched the colors too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!