I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Friday, March 5, 2010

Thank you, Teacher

The last 24 hours has been rough. A friend of mine from church passed away from Breast Cancer. Smiley from millan.net (Grrr! Cancer = EVIL stuff!!) She's been battling for 7 years and put up quite the fight. So.... The good news is she is no longer in pain. The sad news.... she leaves behind a wonderfully dedicated hubby and four children (ages 8-15 yrs old).

Then today,one of the teachers at my son's school celebrated (not sure if that's quite the right word for it... there were quite a few tears present) her last day at the school today.Smiley from millan.net

When I first found out she was leaving, just a week ago, I thought about making this album for her and then talked myself out of it.

I knew I wouldn't have enough time to request and receive the pictures needed to fill it up and I didn't want to give her an empty album. But,... the more I thought about it the more I decided that she had plenty of friends still at the school and could easily send out a request and fill it up in no time.
I'm not sure if the pictures tell the whole story, but this is a star-style book but the inner layers are larger so that the star pattern is subtle. Each page has a large tab that pulls out so there is plenty of space to put pictures or journaling/messages.

The whole thing was created with supplies from my craft room. I didn't have to purchase anything. (Whoa! Totally surprised myself on that one!) Good thing too, since I only had a few hours to put it together.I know I would have wasted three-quarters of my time in a scrapbooking or craft store if I gave myself a reason to go shopping.Smiley from millan.net

A handful of layers put together with some sewing and some foam tape for dimension and that's it. Easy-peasy lemon squeezey!

So, to Miss Michelle I say,Smiley from millan.net
I wish you a wonderful life! My son will miss you at school, but you get to start sleeping in now and be a full-time mom to your 14 month old. Enoy!! I don't care what anyone else says. It's the best job in the world. Smiley from millan.net

Do me a favor.... hug your loved ones and tell them you love them. You'll be happy you did.

Details:
  • Finished size: 9"x9"
  • Patterned paper: black chalkboard, letters (DCWV), brown (ScrapGirls)
  • Cardstock: Blue (Marth Stewart), Black, Brown, Beige (Paper Co.), White (Georgia Pacific)
  • Brads: MM
  • Ribbon: Michael's
  • Other: Chipboard (in stash), Adhesive (Modpodge, Scotch Quick Dry, and ATG)

15 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your friend that passed away... we just had someone pass away too at my church after struggling around 7-8 years with cancer... sooo soooo sad for those left behind. I LOVE your book, do you have directions??? you know I am can't do anything without directions and then I have a hard time.. I so totally agree, there is no better job than being a mom, even if we have to sacrifice some of the things we WANT in order to be able to stay home... hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, this book is beautiful and I know it'll be appreciated. I am so sorry to hear about your friend; yes, any cancer is horrific and I too have seen people fight the "good" fight, but we don't.

    My thoughts and prayers to the you, the family and all the dear friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry to hear about your friend. She is in a beautiful place now, but will pray for the family. That part is so very sad.

    Your book for the teacher is very cute. Bet she loves it and will treasure it for a long time.

    hugs to you
    bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful book. And my condolences on your loss.

    A friend of mine "volunteered" me to scrap the guild we belonged to, well I still belong, but she passed on about 6 months after she was diagnosed with lung cancer (and no, she never smoked). Lately I've been feeling the need not only to scrap the guild, but to make a mini-book for her family to fill. She died last June. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your friend.

    What a wonderful gift to create for the teacher who was leaving. I am sure she will fill it with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your friend. I lost my mother to breast cancer when I was 12 so it really hits home. I will keep this family in my prayers.

    I love the album you made for a very lucky retiring teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen, it's been a long time since I've talked to you and now I'm enjoying reading your blog again. Where have I been? I have to admit, I, Sheila, am a Copicaholic. I have been trying to understand the concept of things beauiful markers. Why didn't I listen to Mr. Delaney in art class? Who would ever thought I want to know everything about shadowing and such. It's great to see all your beautiful works again, but sorry to hear about your friend. Darn that cancer...its hit my family way to much. You also mentiond about taking a class on projects. You can count me in, if you are going to do that.

    Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your friend. We lost a good friend Yesterday and she was only 32 years old. Leaves behind 3 lovely children and a wonderful husband. I was sudden. We just say god needed a good person like her. I love your star book and was wondering if you are willing to share the instructions for this. I have been looking for something like this to make albums with . Thanks so munch
    Sandi
    sandisgunner@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Such a nasty "problem". I have lost family members to this "problem"
    question... How can I get passwords to your past DS videos?? just found these websites and WOULD LOVE to learn more. parkernana4@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful job as always Jen. So sorry to read about your friend. Sending warm wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad for you and your friend's family.

    The teacher's album is such a nice gift. I know she will enjoy looking at it over the years to come.

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Jen on this very thoughtful gift! I am sure she will be so excited to fill it up herself! Really like the sentiment you used as well...

    God bless your friend's family in their lost...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello friend! Do you happen to have directions on how to make this book? Thanks!

    mrsweid@sbcglobal.net

    Debi :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen, So sorry to hear about your friend at church... especially to leave behind such young children, you are right cancer is EVIL! Love the book you made for your sons teacher, esp. the sentiment. Is there directions somewhere for the star book? It turned out very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

    I love your memory book. This is such a wonderful idea. I am sure it will be enjoyed for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!