I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sweeeeeet Lovin' from the oven

My sister in law called me a few weeks ago. After receiving her Christmas card she wondered if I could help her. She wanted to send a recipe for Red Velvet Cake with her Valentines this year to four of her friends. She was wondering if I could put together a fun card that would nicely present the recipe for her friends. We discussed a few options and she said, "Yes, that sounds great!"
Sometimes when I have the need to create but no direction, a project comes along to give me a compass.
Basically I took the gift card holder cut file that I created and made it large enough to hold a 4x6 recipe card. The finished size of the card is 5x7. To get the recipe card to be the right side I laid it out in Publisher and printed a nice border around it. That way I knew exactly where to cut. Then to add a pop of color I mounted it to some red cardstock which matched the red used on the cover of the card.

To give the top layer some more texture after gluing the 1 1/2" squares down on a layer of card I ran it through my Cuttlebug with an embossing folder. And then took it for a spin through my sewing machine. My 4yr old wanted to help so much so he got the assignment to lift and lower my presser foot while I did everything else. LOL

To give the frosting a bit of definition I mixed together and painted on some Shimmerz. I also added it to the "Hello" and "Friend" tags and the ridges on the cupcake cup.

To add a touch of black to the card (so the recipe card wasn't the only bit with black on it), I used this cute black and white check ribbon my sis gave me. She told me she found it in the $1 isle. I never find this cute stuff at the store. Thank you for giving it to me! :) Then I sprinkled some fun glittery glue dots all around and mounted the cupcake on a black 'shadow' layer.

And there they all are. They went postal today. I added a touch of red and patterned paper to the inside after I took the pics because the inside was just too plain. I forgot to snap a pic before I put them in the envelope. I hope they reach her safe and sound. Thanks for the project, sis!

Details:

  • Cricut, DS, George, Plantin, From My Kitchen (Provo Craft)
  • CUT FILE: ** Please specify the file when you donate.
  • Cuttlebug, Floral Fantasy embossing folder (Provo Craft)
  • Patterned paper: DCWV and Target $1 isle
  • Cardstock: Red, Pink (DCWV), White, Black (Paper Co.)
  • Glitter paint: Fire Engine Red, Angel Wings (Shimmerz)
  • Fonts: Times New Roman, Adorable
  • Flowers (Prima)
  • Other: Pink buttons, White embroidery floss, Black glitter glue, Black and white check ribbon, foam adhesive, ATG adhesive, Scor-Pal, Fiskars paper crimper, Zots mini glue dots, red thread, Black Sharpie
** Refer to Cut File link to see how to get my files. 

11 comments:

  1. They are really cute! She's lucky to have you as a sil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. You are so creative. You inspire me. Thanks for all of your help and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very cool! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your card will be a hit with your SIL's friends. Such a nice way to receive a recipe.
    Gotta try some red velvet cake now.

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great recipe card. That is a cool idea. You are so clever my friend! Nice to see you roaming around What's the Scoop!
    email me so I can give you my snail mail for the swap over there...
    tjgordenmom at sbcglobal dot net
    toodles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, these are so cute! You always do a fabulous job! Wish you were my sis -- LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo jenn

    Ik wilde even zeggen dat er een Award op mijn blog staat voor je

    groetjes Nonna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, what a lucky sister-in-law! These are just beautiful. Your work is always so inspiring, but I think that having your son as an assistant is what makes these so special.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card is YUMMY! And so is red velvet cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, what can I say...I just LOVE this card! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately it's been months since I've been on the computer and had a chance to look. Boy, have I missed a lot of great stuff! These are absolutely gorgeous! I love the recipe card but it would also be a darling invitation as well. So many uses. I love it! As always, Jen, beautiful work! Not sure if you are sharing cut files, but if you are, I would love this one!
    Thank you,
    Jill
    jztmail-cricut@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!