I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Some more gifts from Christmas

I know. I'm such a slacker. I ignore my poor blog for days and then when I do post something I just keep pulling these pics out of things I made but didn't share during December. Well, I had too. How do you surprise the people you're giving them to if they read your blog, right? So, now you get to read all about it a month later. I guess I could have said I made them for a future gift and you'd never know, but ... nah, that's not necessary. You all understand.
Anyway, without further ado, here they are. I made my three nieces some altered comp books.

They each got one in a preferred color of their choice and with their initial on it.

I knew I wanted to glitter up the letter so I stopped by Walmart and picked up the MS 24-color glitter set so that I'd have a good variety to choose from. Since they all like such different colors it would have cost me nearly as much if I purchased those little 3-pack color sets in their colors so I just splurged and got the big-momma!

I happened to already have some pre-cut letters in my stash so I didn't have to cut them out. They were a bit flimsy so I mounted them to some white cardstock give them a bit more body. Then, I painted the glue over letters, sprinkled on the glitter and let them dry. To keep the glitter in place so that it wouldn't release with every touch I sprayed a matte clear coat over the top to seal them.
Then I mounted each letter to a plaque which was cut from Storybook.
One more thing to add a bit of sparkle, I made my own spritz using some Shimmerz paint.

I purchased one of these travel spray bottles from the cosmetic area at Walmart. I think it cost a $1. I used the end of the spray hose as a wand to dip into the paint and put a bit into the bottle. Then, I added about a tablespoon and a half of water and shook it up.

Then I sprayed it onto the background papers that I used on the cover and the back of the books. I tried to get a good pic.... looks like the best one is the purple "K" book. But all three shimmered very nicely.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Details:
  • Cricut, DS and Storybook cartridge (ProvoCraft)
  • Patterned papers from stash
  • white cardstock (Georgia Pacific)
  • Glitter paint: Angels Wings (Shimmerz)
  • Glitter (Martha Stewart)
  • Matte Clear Sealer (Krylon)

5 comments:

  1. They turned out just awesome... and I am sure they all loved them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very nice..gives me an idea for some gifts I need to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work. I found your blog from the cricut.com message board. I would love to recieve your giants and your gift card cut files.

    Thanks so much, Liz
    lavendarandroses@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Shimmerz paint tip.
    The books look great.

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Thanks for the Shimmerz tip. I love that idea!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!