I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Cards, cards, and more cards!

Hiya!
What you're looking at is a small stack of the cards I made for Christmas this year. I made 50 in all. We had to whittle our list down over the years. I hate doing it but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I got the idea for the card from JanTink. She's an SU! demo. I don't know her personally but she is a pretty clever girl! She created this "marquee" card and put the tutorial on her blog, which is where I discovered it. Below is the first sample I made to see how hard or easy it would be to make it.

I'm not sure if you can see from the picture above but those two red pieces slide out when the gatefold card opens to reveal a picture in the window in the green "stage" area.

Here's how the card looks when it's closed. The stamps all come from WaltzingMouse Stamps. All of them are in the same set. Aren't they beautiful?

Truth be told the card is very easy to make. Maybe that's because Jan's instructions are so easy to follow. Well, I had to go and complicate things. You see, I wasn't satisfied with the card above. I wanted to put a picture in the card. So, I had to rework it.

Hubby took our son to see Santa. I couldn't let this precious pic go to waste. :) As it turns out, I didn't have enough of the red printed paper to do the inside and outside of the card. So, I stamped a snowflake from the Very Vintage Christmas set using cream ink on red cardstock and used that for the inside pieces. (You can see it in the pic above.)

The silver embossing powder that I used on all the stamped images really make them stand out against the green cardstock.
This is how my kitchen counter looked for a couple of weeks. Special thanks to my sweet, patient hubby for putting up with my insane crafting needs. His only comment, "As long as you're making progress I'm ok with it."
Isn't he fab?! Love you sweetie!

If you've never tried heat embossing you really should give it a go. It's a lot of fun. Super easy and gives a big wow to your paper crafts. Basically, you just stamp with an ink that will stay wet long enough for the embossing powder to stick to it.

Pour the powder on, and tap off the excess.

Then heat it. You can see in the bottom left corner how gray the ink and powder look then along the top of the card piece how shiny and silvery this embossing powder changed once it was "cooked." The silver ink disappeared on this green cardstock. I was so happy once the powder was added and embossed. Such a huge improvement, don't you think?

Well. That's it for tonight. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas day.

Details:
  • Cardstock: Pure Poppy, Ripe Avocado, Kraft (PaperTreyInk); White (Georgia Pacific)
  • Patterned paper: Love Notes -Battenburg (MemoryMakers)
  • Stamps: Very Vintage Christmas (WaltzingMouseStamps)
  • Ink: Silver (Encore)
  • Embossing Powder: Sterling Silver (Stampendous)

9 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, how beautiful they turned out. The embossing powder definitely made it go "WOW".. and it sounds like your hubby is a keeper. Hoping you have a wonderful Christmas day. hugs Sandy
    (and I love the picture of your son and Santa, too cute)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are gorgeous, and many of them!!
    Merry Christmas to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know why I was a bit AWOL from my blog LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, JEN....50!!!! Way to go! I am straining to do half of that or less for the last few years! My hat is off to you, great job, they look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jen
    I found JanTink's "marquee card",too, and can't wait to try it. I just love action cards. And am determined to get out my embossing powders and heat gun again.

    Like what you did with your card. My hat's off to you for making so many.

    Happy New Year to you and yours! Look forward to more of your creations and inspiration in 2010.

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  6. bikini cut
    hi Jen, hope I am doing this right, please send me this cut! to paumick@ouboces.org again paumick@ouboces.org I really would love this cut file for DS been looking for it for my hubby 21st anniversary. thanks so much!

    paumick@ouboces.org for bikini cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Christmas cards Jen! As always Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these Christmas cards are beautiful! You do a great job! I hope you don't mind, I added you to my Faves list on my blog....kajunbeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the musical instruments, especially the oboe and bassoon, which are played by family members. Could I get some DS cut files? My email is patty.wilson@jefferson.kyschools.us
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!