I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Monday, August 3, 2009

Sassy thing!

Growing up, each summer as far back as I can remember my folks took us on a summer trip to Disneyland. When I was little I remember how ominous the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean rides were. As I got older I really started to enjoy them and now they are my favorites. Is it any wonder then that when I fell in love with the Cosmo Cricket papers that were released last October? They are so cool. Yeah, I know, they're not new for this year but if you're luck you will still be able to get your hands on them. Paper Popsicles still has some in stock! :)

With that in mind, I created a sassy little bustier bag. Actually, it's not little at all. It's huge! The front and back panels take up a full 12x12 sheet each. I'm considering making a smaller version for those that may not want something so large. Just let me know if you're interested.

After cutting the top layer panel out, I used my Shimmerz paints in Apricot and lightly brushed the paint over the black areas on the Gothic paper to add a bit of glimmer. The paint is so sheer that you can barely see the difference in color, but it's just enough somethin'-somethin'. Then I took the Fire Engine Red Shimmerz and dotted a few places here and there too.


After it was dry, I cut the front panel in half, marked where I wanted the gromets to go and put them in using my crop-o-dile. (such a great tool!)

Then I layered the two panels onto the base panel for the front of my bag along with some pieces of the back of the Gothic paper cut in a lacey style reminiscent of the MS border punch. (Did i mention the Cosmo Cricket papers are 2 sided? And both are fab!)

I used a bit of green stitched ribbon I found at my local Michael's to lace up the front of the bodice on the bag.


When putting the bag together I originally used Bazzill Black Tuxedo. I loved the little bit of glimmer on it. Then pieced together the side and bottom panels and attached them to the back base panel. (see pic below.) if you want vertical sides you can do that, but I wanted to see how it would work with the sides angled out to match the front and back of the bag.

Last of all, I attached the front panel of the bag. I used my ATG gun and it held just fine. As you can see, it is a large bag, standing about 11 inches tall and approximately 10 inches wide. I definitely would recommend using stiffer cardstock if you plan to fill it full of anything that is heavy. The Bazzill cardstock cut beautifully but for a bat this big you will probably want something a bit more like chipboard strength.


I hope you like the bag. You certainly don't have to create yours in the same fashion that I did mine, but I know that my Bikini Card has been so popular. I couldn't resist some kind of follow up to go with it.

Hope you have yourself a fabulous day!

Details:

  • Cricut Expression and cartridges George and Plantin Schoolbook
  • CUT FILE: ** Donate button is at the top right. Please specify which file you want when you purchase.
  • Approximate size of finished bag: 11" tall, 10" wide, 4" deep
  • Cardstock: Bazzill Black Tuxedo
  • Patterned Paper: Cosmo Cricket: Haunted - Gothic
  • Shimmerz paint: Apricot, Fire Engine Red
  • Ribbon: Michaels
  • Eyelets: sun (came with Crop-o-dile)
  • Tools: Crop-o-dile, paint brush, ATG gun with permanent adhesive
** Refer to Cut File link to see how to get my files.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Jodie made a darling "tulip" version of this same bag. (Yes the extra tab is included in the file for those that want to make it that way.) I guess you could say Jodie is the reason the bag is so large. She wanted it that big. :) THANKS for sharing Jodie and for encouraging me to create this bag!! Your friend is going to love it!

25 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this wonderful little bag Jen!! could I please get a copy of the file?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this, so good to see you creating again.. May I please have a copy of it.. I want the BIG one... then I will have to bug you how to put it together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    I love your Bustier Bag, this is amazing. I was blown away by the design of your bag, but seeing your completed bag, this is amazing. I love everything about it, the colours, the lace, wow. It looks like a totally different bag from the Tulip Bag. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful design with me. You rock.
    Jodie from Oz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bustier bag. May I please have a copy of the cut file?
    RtrGry@netscape,net

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - Gucci has nothing on your fabulous, very chic bag! :) LOL - I am totally liking the way you threadeda string to add more interest; the perfect touch! You did such a NICE job on this one, Jen! It looks amazing! really appreciate how your mind works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute as usual Jen. Love to have the .cutfile. Thanks.
    Fayrai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fayrai's addie: ftperry@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a large bag! Love the shape and how you embellished it. My DIL is a pocketbook diva and know she would smile if I made this for her.
    Thanks for sharing, Jen. Always enjoy your creations.
    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, I love this bag! I would love to have the file! Thank you so much!
    Cindy B
    cynthia.burgess@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love a copy of your cut file. This is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing your wonderful creations with us.

    Maria
    emaciaz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen this is beautiful. I would lov ethe cut file. You do such wonderful work.
    thanks
    suez

    suezjane2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. JEN,
    THIS REALY IS CUTE. SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU CREATING AGAIN. MISSED ALL OF YOUR FUN DESIGNS.
    GREAT JOB ON THIS ONE.

    HUGS,
    BOBBI

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I like.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG jen what did you design, wow nobody can do without a real JenC bag or purse, this one is so great, I love it.
    I would love to receive the cutfile for this wondeful bag. I can't call this a purse, I think little when I hear purse LOL.
    Thanks so mutch for designing and sharing.

    Hug Linda
    snatertje@home.nl

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love the cut file for this if you are sharing please! Also, I have an adjustable scalloped marquee file to share on my blog. It requires Storybook and George and works with the Storybook marquee. Thanks for sharing!
    www.cricutcraftyclare.blogspot.com
    and my email cjdempsey9@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are having a bachorlette party for my niece and I think these would be great.

    Thanks so much for all your hard work

    Patricia

    patriciaherr@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. This bag is a must have! Oh my goodness....its fabulously clever!! Please send me the cut file too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jen,

    How nice, can I have this Curfile from you.

    Greetings from Holland.

    louise1951@live.nl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this bag--soooooooooo cute! Woiuld love to have the cutfile:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!! that is so awesome!!
    I am new to the Cricut world and found your blog from a link at Obsessed with Scrapbooking.
    I would love to have a copy of this file!
    jrosser@maine.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to get the cut file for this. Thanks for sharing.

    Debbied500@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh wow this one is awesome!! and soooooo girly, perfect for any girl's bday party. thanks for sharing.

    Giselle
    gisellev_07@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's me again...Felecia. I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING this bag. How do you come up with these ideas???? Never mind that, I'm just glad that you do! May I please have this .cut file as well? Thanks so much.
    Felecia (lecialatrelle@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!