I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Teacher Gifts 2009

The end of the school year sort of snuck up on me. How did that happen?? I kept thinking I had another month or another week and then *BAM!* it is TODAY! And I didn't have a 'thank you' for my son's teacher. :(

BIG THANKS to my friend Lois who had posted the super cute Teacher's Appreciation/Survival kits on the Cricut message board that she made for her grandson's teachers! It was such a great idea she even was featured in the Chirp for it!

*Brilliant!* Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net

Off I went to the store to gather supplies....Three stores actually. (Walmart, Walgreen's, Michael's. My Walmart doesn't sell the small/single serving sizes of the candies, but i was able to find them at Walgreen's.) It took me a while to decide what papers and layout for the first can.
This is the first can for my son's Language/Vocabulary, etc teacher:

This is the second can, which came together really quickly since I did all my measurement/design work on the first one. It is for his Discovery Room (Art, Music, putting it all together, etc) teacher :

And this is what is inside the gallon size can:


Here's a list and what the tags say (Thanks Lois!):
  • Swedish fish: "For when you have o-FISH-ally had enough!"
  • mint Gum: "You're a mint!"
  • Pencils: "You're one sharp teacher!"
  • Lifesavers: "Sometimes you are one... sometimes you need one."
  • Hershey bar with Almonds: "Open in case of Emergency or when they're driving you nuts!"
  • Kleenex: "For wiping away tears... Theirs and yours."
  • Hand sanitizer: "You're always giving us a hand."
  • Starburst: "To give you a burst of energy"
  • Notepad: "A note to let you know you're appreciated"
  • Smarties: "Thanks for making me a smartie!"
I sent them off to school with my son and hope that the teachers receive them intact. My son kept telling me, "Candy! Open" LOL
I'll have to send an email and find out later.

Hope you all are having a great day!

Details:
  • Some shapes were hand cut, others were cut by my Cricut machine using Design Studio (Alphalicious, George, Mickey Font, Pooh Font, Storybook)
  • Pattern Papers: All double sided - Floral/blue polka-dot, black polka-dot/floral, blue dots/yellow, stripe/beige (Fancy Pants: Daily Grind);
  • Cardstock: green glitter and orange glitter (DCWV); white (Georgia Pacific); black (ValuePack)
  • Flowers: Prima
  • Ribbon: Target $1 isle
  • Buttons: Bag o' Buttons (Hobby Lobby)
  • Ink: Olive Pastel (Colorbox); Berry Sorbet (PaperTreyInk)
  • Clear gallon paint can: Michael's
  • Acrylic (for Notepad cover): Hobby Lobby
  • Other tools: Bind-it-all, gel pens, colorful large paperclips, skittles (platic gems not the candy), embroidery floss

11 comments:

  1. Jen you did an awesome job. I made these for Teacher Appreciation week in the clear paint cans and they were a hit. I know they will enjoy these cans. I always go to Walgreens, Rite Aide, or CVS to find items. You know I love to shop!

    SallyW

    ReplyDelete
  2. o jen what a great teacher gifts you made.
    I made little memo blocks, for each of the mentors my youngest dd has and for 2 more people at school who helped her a lot this year.
    We hope she will pass on to the graduation class next year. we know on the 15th of july. so a couple more weeks of school here in the south of holland.
    My oldest is ready, she graduated from senior High and she is so happy, the flag is hanging outsite to let everybody know she graduated. it's great to see all the flags when you drive around town.

    Hug Linda
    snatertje@home.nl

    ReplyDelete
  3. The teacher gifts turned out well. I really like the look of the transparent can.
    Think I'll make one for my DIL when she returns for the fall semester.
    But,I can't make it too early 'cause, Psst... "candy,open"! :0)

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cans are the best. I can never think of what to put on them. And the fact that you said you cut by measurement is great place to start. Any cut files for these will be greatly appreciated. And thank you for all the detail in what went into the can which is just as important. I love the notes on each item. You are just sooo talented. Thanks for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been awhile since I've visited. As always, love your creations. Thanks for the inspiration.

    doramiyi
    -CANADA-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, you are so right this is a GREAT idea; and you did a NICE job decorating these; so special and I am sure well received (and deserved!)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a fab idea it must have taken ages to think of the caption to go with everything. Thanks for sharing
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are absolutley adorable and being a teacher myself I would love to have received something like that from my student! I would love for you to email me the link to your cut files! I'm new to the cricut and am looking for all the help I can get. Thanks so much!
    Kim
    kakrnach@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute, Jen. As always, you did a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing pics! I love looking at your stuff!!!
    Jill
    jztjzt

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute!! I am wait to "scrap lift" this idea for our teachers. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!