I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Arleigh Burke

My father-in-law used to be in the US Navy. He has long since retired, after 30 years, but he still works in the industry. According to my hubby he worked aboard Destroyers. I had great plans to make a card for him right after I made my dad's golf themed card.

{Uh Jen?... It's Tuesday! Father's Day is Sunday!} Yikes!

After giving myself a V8 bop on the forehead, I started formulating what I wanted to do for him.
Before I could do anything I needed to get my son off to school. After dropping my son at the carpool point I came home and {whew! hubby hadn't left yet...} had him help me find a picture of a destroyer online. (I didn't want to trust some website that said 'this is a destroyer' and have it be a frigate or something else! Gasp!) He knows all about that stuff. It goes WAY over my head. (sorry honey, I try. I know you just told me, but *blip* it's gone!)

Here is the picture we found. It's the DDG-51, USS Arleigh Burke:

After a bit of software and paper magic... VOILA! Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.netA destroyer themed Father's Day card.
I tried to get a side view to show the dimension. The ship is up on dimensional adhesive, but the pic looks pretty flat. Oh well.


I didn't have time to dress it up too much but I think it's ok. Hubby was running out the door and I wanted to get the card in the mail today so it would get to his dad before Saturday.
(Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net Sorry for the blurry pics, I was being rushed. Only had time to snap two pics, and these are they.)

Below is a picture of the full card. I'm not sure if you can see it... the background paper behind the destroyer is ... um... plotter paper (?) or something like that. Mariners use it to make course corrections ... or at least they do/use to on naval ships. Years ago, my father-in-law gave it to my hubby with some tools used with the paper. Hubby kept the tools but tossed the paper.
{Uh! Not so fast big guy! I'll take that!}
Now that I've made this card I'm SO glad I had the forethought to pull it from the trash!


Feedback from hubby? Well, when I was working on creating the ship and all I had was a black silhouette he said, "That's perfect! I'd recognize that picture anywhere." Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net {Wooohooo!!} and then when he saw the finished card, he was very happy even calling the card, "Cool." Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net {Yay! If it meets hubby's approval, I'm sure it will be well received by my Father-in-law.}

Oh... forgot to get this in here....
Paper Popsicles is hosting another card challenge. This should be an easy one for each of you since it's Father's Day this weekend and I'm sure you've all created cards for the fathers in your lives. {*wink*}
Here are the specifics: First, create a masculine card. Next, complete the inside. And lastly, Have fun!

Ok... more projects coming. Talk to you later!

Details:

  • Cricut machine and software: Photoshop, Inkscape, Sure Cuts A Lot
  • CUT FILE: ** Donate button is at the top right. Please specify which file you want when you purchase.
  • Cardstock: Old Hunter Green, Black (CardstockHeadquarters), Grey (ThePaperCo), White (Georgie Pacific)
  • Patterned paper: Stripe (Nana's Kids - DCWV), Navigational paper
  • Ribbon: Target $1 isle
  • Button: Bag o' Buttons (Hobby Lobby)
  • Cotton String
** Refer to Cut File link to see how to get my files. 

5 comments:

  1. What a great card... and using that paper is awesome.. he will love it.. (too bad you did it with the dark side LOL) Almost makes me want to go over to that side, but I have another trouble learning the DS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great card and I am sure your FIL will love it. You achieved alot getting your hubby's approval.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen I agree with your hubby. You did an awesome job on recreating the ship. The card looks great and I know your FIL will adore it.

    SallyW

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah this card rocks! What a cool idea and even better that the hubby approved! Thanks for playing along with Paper Popsicles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this! My husband is Navy and is on a frigate. If I wasn't sold on SCAL I am now! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!