I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Friday, February 13, 2009

May hope sustain you

On Tuesday morning a friend of mine passed away. :o( It was a complete shock! She was the office manager at the small school where my son attends. She treated everyone as family and the children at the school really loved her. (And not because she had candy on her desk.)



I sat down on Wednesday to create this card but kept getting distracted. I went back to it on Thursday inbetween distractions again. Finally finished it last night right before bed. Although a card can never heal the pain that a family or friends feel when they experience a loss, it seemed the least I could do.

No Cricut here. The card base was cut from the gold cardstock, scored and folded in half. Then I cut a cream cardstock top layer 1/2" narrower and 1/2" shorter than the card base. I used my ScorePal to score two grooves in the cream cardstock one inch from the top and one inch from the bottom. Then using my cuttlebug and the embossing folder I embossed the dot pattern at the ends of the cream cardstock.
Then I cut a piece of gold cardstock to fit in the center section of the cream layer. I stamped the pattern on and embossed it with gold embossing powder.
The sentiment ws created in Photoshop and printed on vellum
Using the gold ink pad, I inked around the edges of all the card pieces before attaching them together.
Ribbon was tied around and attached. Flowers were layered at opposite corners and pearls were put in the centers
And as a finishing touch, I stamped the same pattern on the envelope and chalked it in similar colors to the cardstock.


Details:
  • Cardstock: Gold shimmer (PaperTreyInk), Cream (The Paper Company), Vellum (PaperTreyInk)
  • Cuttlebug and embossing folder: Swiss Dot
  • ScorePal
  • Stamp: $1 isle Target
  • Ink: Gold metallic (Encore), clear embossing ink (Versamark)
  • Flowers: Urban (Prima)
  • Ribbon: (Offray)
  • Pearl Stickers ($1 isle Target)
  • Embossing powder: Gold (Stampin Stuff)
  • Pastels: (Stampin Up!)

30 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Your card is so beautiful, I agree nothing can heal the pain, but your beautiful card will show them that you care and that always seems to be a little comfort knowing that someone out there understands a little of their pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's always a hard thing to go through. The card looks beautiful. You did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing can ever heal the pain of someones suffering. Your card is absolutley Beautiful and I am sure they will appreciate your thoughfulness. You are so kind!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your friend. I find sympathy cards very hard to make. You did a beautiful job.

    PS.I just bought that stamp at Target too.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful card Jen. I am so sorry to hear of this. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing card. I am sorry for your loss. Take care.

    Lynn in MI

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen,
    So sorry to hear about your friend.
    Your card turned out beautiful. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it. Jen master of the cut files/ Can you make a cut file of the Rugrats. Bonnie did some but she said she didn't know how to do cut files so I can't use hers. thanks so much
    Dolly
    shawdolly@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. love it. Jen master of the cut files/ Can you make a cut file of the Rugrats. Bonnie did some but she said she didn't know how to do cut files so I can't use hers. thanks so much
    Dolly
    shawdolly@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card and thought, Jen. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( ::::hugs::::

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your loss. The card is elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is lovely, and I am sure the family will treasure it. I hope making the card helped you with your grief too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful card. I am sure it will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen, so sorry for the loss of your friend. I lost a very dear and close friend last March and I still miss her so much. You did an awesome job on the card. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. JEN,
    SORRY ABOUT YOUR FRIEND...BUT YOUR CARD IS BEAUTIFUL. THE FAMILY WILL LOVE IT.

    THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US.

    BOBBI

    ReplyDelete
  16. so sorry to hear about y our friend, these are hard times.
    i wish you a lot of strenght and you ande the family are in my thoughts.
    you made a beautiful card and I know it will help them to know you thought of them.

    hug Linda
    snatertje@home.nl

    ReplyDelete
  17. so sorry to hear about y our friend, these are hard times.
    i wish you a lot of strenght and you ande the family are in my thoughts.
    you made a beautiful card and I know it will help them to know you thought of them.

    hug Linda
    snatertje@home.nl

    ReplyDelete
  18. This card is beautiful. I'm sure the family will absolutely love it and appreciate your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry for everyone's loss. Your card is just beautiful.

    Sherry Mc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is always hard to make sympathy cards. Yours, I am sure, will be greatly appreciated by the family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jen, I'm so sorry that you lost a friend. Friendship is one of God's greatest gifts to us. I'm sure you will miss her. The card is lovely and I'm sure the family will appreciate your thoughts.
    Kathy -Garfieldsmom

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. You did a wonderful job on the card. It is absolutely beautiful. I know the family will be very appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear about your friend. The card is very beautiful. Keep your head up. She will always remain in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear about your friend; sounds very unexpected... this card will go along way in showing how much you will miss her and appreciate knowing her... god bless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very sorry to hear about your friend. Your card is Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sorry to hear about your friend as well. The card you made is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful-brenda

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful card for such a sad situation. I am sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi-
    It’s me again! Begging for another cut file!
    Kim
    Allie060889@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!