I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How Thrifty!

I'm home again with a sick boy. His cough is getting better (thank goodness) but he's not well enough to go to school yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Today's thrifty tip: How to save some money on toy glasses. LOL
Yeah, I know. It's random, but I'm pretty happy with this discovery so I had to share.
A little background on the NEED for toy glasses: My son loves the Harry Potter movies. So much so that he dressed up as Harry Potter last Halloween. He still plays dress-up with his cape and wand at least once every day. I had to put the expensive HP glasses away. He had already broken one pair and at $7 each I couldn't afford to keep replacing them. So, he has been using his Mr. Potatohead's glasses. They are red and "Mickey Mouse" themed but he doesn't care. (LOL) The problem: Mr. Potatohead's head is not as wide as my son's head so the glasses are starting to show a bit of wear-n-tear (see those white spots on the red glasses? those are stress points from bending the plastic where it shouldn't be bent!) and since they are only available inside an $18 box at the California Adventure theme park I was not excited about them getting broken.
I had to find a better solution for my less-than-delicate 3 yr old. While searching the isles at a local Party City store I came across a bag of Groucho Marx style glasses for $4. The bag contains at least a dozen pairs of glasses. I took them to the register to pay... And guess what? They were on sale! Half off! Yay!


Here's what the glasses look like out of the bag:


The plastic that the glasses are made of is soft/flexible and can be cut with scissors. I removed the nose piece then snipped off the plastic bits that held the nose on. Then trimmed off the eyebrows...

Before... and after!!

Unless I told you, you'd probaby never know how they had looked previously! And what's better...

My son loves them! And can't break them no matter how far he stretches the arms out to the sides when putting them on his face. :o) {Big Smiles!!}

Nothing Cricut related but if you read this far.... Have a great day!!

23 comments:

  1. I love those Party stores. When my oldest DS was 3 he loved Blues Clues. The handy dandy notebook is kind of expensive at reg. department stores. But, at Party City, I found a pack of 8 handy dandy notebooks that were smaller but he loved them!! They were much cheaper too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a deal you have found... so creative in shopping and designing..hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is adorable! Good idea about the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Jen, just like Harry's. A great find lol
    He's a cute lad too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son is so adorable. I love the way you did the Groucho glasses.
    Don't you just love it when you find these kind of bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh he is so cute...good tip on the glasses too! Hope your little guy starts to feel better. Take care.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever you are. Your son is an absolute doll!! I'm sorry he's sick. Mine was home sick today and still has a fever, so it looks like he'll be home again tomorrow. I hope your little guy starts feeling better. You should cast a Get Well Spell on him with those fancy glasses and wand!
    -Donna-

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea... and so cost effective! I think they look just like Harry Potter glasses! yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is just too adorable with those glasses on!

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen:

    Your son is a cutie! I could gobble him up! Great idea with the glasses, too! Both of my sons loved to dress up when they were little. I really miss those days, so cherish them while you can!

    Linda
    RavensFan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, your little Harry Potter is soooo cute!!! I remember those dress up days with great fondness. Ian played Robin Hood all the time!!! He also adored the Power Ranger costume I made him. But truly, you so is SOOO cute!!
    :-)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a good chuckle out of this one. :) That is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOSH!! That is the cutest thing ever!! Your son looks so excited and happy!!

    I can totally relate...our son is HUGE into dress up and the latest is Star Wars...and making EVERYTHING into a Light Saber!!

    Boys will be boys!!

    Take care, Sara B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is tooo funny, my son was a clone trooper on halloween...he constanly dresses up in his costume. His grandma bought him the big expensive helmet that he beg us for over and over again. I love Grandmas......Thank you for sharing, great thrifty idea!
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good deal and great idea for removing the nose, etc. He is just precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow great job finding those party glasses. He realy looks like a little Harry Potter whit these glasses on his cute little nose.
    What a lovely son you have.so, now i'm off to the store, to do some shopping and than cupcake baking hihi my girls asked for it, so mommy promissed it so she need to bake them
    Have a nice day.
    Hug Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your son is sooooo cute. I love the glasses.. My son loved to dress up too. They grow up so fast. He is getting ready to graduate High School and has joined the Army National Guard. Enjoy these moments. Nina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Creative and thrifty mom!

    Your son is ADORABLE, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He looks so adorable. My son's the same way he has been HP for 3 years straight. Good thing I bought his costume big so it could last him.

    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  20. wOW - CREATIVE AND THRIFTY! THAT IS MY KIND OF COMBO! YOUR SON IS TO CUTE WITH HIS HP GLASSES ON! WHAT A GREAT FIND!

    ABUSYFAMILYOF6
    DEBI

    ReplyDelete
  21. He is a doll! I love finding a bargain and then scraping it to make something special for someone.
    TFS.

    SallyW

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cutie! Great idea with the glasses. I love when I find great ideas like that. Hope he feels better soon. I hate it when my little ones don't feel good. They are too quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you could use the mickey font cart. for Cricut and make Mr.Potatohaed glasses for your son with the Mickey head on there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!