I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tutorial: Search function on Cricut mb

OK... lately I have performed successful searches using the Search function on the Cricut message board (which normally provides more curses from me than results from the message board!). I know I'm not alone in this. I was able to find something for Joann on the message board and she flipped! party smileys

Here response, "HOW did you do that??!!" indifferent smileys


Well, if you all are more blessed with getting results than Joann and I are you can skip this tutorial. If not, maybe this will help you out.


First of all, Sign in. If you do not sign in the message board will not let you use the function...




and you will get this lovely error: (Yes, personal experience is talking here.)



For some new people to the message board I will be going step-by-step since many of you may not even know where to find the Search function. (Before today I would have said, Don't bother. But since I have foudn that it does have some capability I will show you where it is. )

Click on Community at the top of the screen



Then... click on Message board


Now, click on Search, found in the list on the left side of the screen (unless you reformatted the site's layout and moved it to the right)





This is what the Seach screen looks like:


In the Search Term box type what you are looking for. In this example I was trying to help Joann find a flower box.
Leave the Author blank unless you are 100% sure who created the item you're looking for and know how to spell their message board ID


Jump down to the Options section. In the Search only box click on the drop down arrow and select Topic


Then move to the Search terms found in box and click on the dropdown box. Select Subject.



If you know you want only those results found in a specific forum you can go to the Search in Forum section (top, right) and select the forum you're interested in. For example, if I only wanted flower boxes in the Design Studio forum then I would scroll down and click on - - Cricut Design Studio. Since we (Joann and I) weren't sure where she found this box I left it as Search All Forums

Go to the bottom of the page and click OK
I received 2 pages of results, one was the post where Joann had found the picture of the box care of Ruby and one was Laurie's post talking about how her flower box was chosen for the Chirp which led me to the original post where Laurie had her .cut file and instructions posted for making the box. YAY!! Success!!
Please note: Had Laurie or Ruby titled their posts differently, not including Flower and Box in the title of their posts, they would not have shown up on my Search. So here is my plea.... PLEASE think about what you are titling your posts when you write a post on the message board. Generic "Help please" or "Look what I made" or "my latest creation" will NOT pull up using this type of search. My experience with searching the body of posts seems to end in no findings making it difficult to find posts when the item is detailed only within the body of the post. If you need help, title your post Help Please: Flower Box. (make sense?)
As I discover more functionality to the Search engine on the message board I will let you know.
Have fun!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you my friend.. I ususally don't have much luck with the search on MB. I do have a question maybe you could help me with, (I have asked everyone and no one seems to know what I am doing wrong..:-( anyway, sometimes when I put a picture on my blog, you can click on it and it will get bigger, then sometimes you can't click on it... right now you can't click on the pictures I have just put up, I think I do the same thing when I add a picture, why do some click and get bigger and some don't? I want to click and have them get bigger, any suggestions??? Hope this made a litle sense and sorry it was so long. Hope you know what I am doing wrong. Also, hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a dear.
    Thank you for this information.
    Your work is just lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting so good at these tutorials. Very nice of you to take the time, especially for the new members.
    I'm an old dog but I'm learning new tricks from you!

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!

    This really worked, your the Best Jen like I always say.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha Ms Jen, thank you very much for this info. Really helps for us newbies on the Cricut MB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, you are very good with your tuts! This is good functionality to know...thank you so much for sharing it with us...have a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still didn't work for me Jenn - but I'll keep trying

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the stuff you create! My son just fractured his wrist last week and I was trying to think of a thank you gift for the people at the hospital who cared for him. Would you send me the link for your apron cookie bag please? That would just fit the bill filled with chocolate chip cookies! Thanks so much for your hard work and inspiration.

    Julia
    jchow2@cogeco.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for clearing that up. I have never been successful with the search function and had given up on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!