I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

THANK YOU!

So... yeah, I'm still sick.  This bug has really kicked my tail! I'm feeling a little better and my voice is returning so I seem to be taking baby steps towards recovery.

Yesterday I spent some time making a few thank you cards for family that sent presents our direction over the holidays. I didn't want to make them all the same but ended up only being able to make two versions in multiple colors.. just too tired from this crazy 'disease' that has taken over my body! Grrr! I'm not trying to make light of other's situations but I've never had a flu or cold bug that has lasted 2 weeks before!


Well, enough of my complaining. On to the creativity....

The first cards I made were all DS. A card inspired by the divine Diane (aka Capadia). I used George for the card and Alphalicious for the "thank you."









My second card is a mix of DS and SCAL.... the card base (5.5" x 8.5") and decorative paper layer (5.25" x 4") were all cut by hand...err... by my Tonic cutter! Easy Peezy! Then I created the bookplate style tag that the letters are mounted to in DS with George. And the letters are "Pharmacy" which I had to place in Inkscape and trace then move over to SCAL to cut. For some reason I can't seem to access my fonts directly in SCAL and my cursor in SCAL is set to type at like 7" and I can't seem to change that either.

Anyone that can share SPECIFIC guidelines on how to fix that I would be really appreciative. (In other words, don't just direct me to the SCAL forum or group. Been there. Can't find what I need)







Here's a close up of the beads on "Thanks!" I ran my cut out letters face down through my Xyron then put them into a container of clear microbeads. I did this with the Alphalicious cards too. You will see the beads on the oval and "thank you" layer attached to the face of the card.



Also, I mounted the tags using some foam dots for dimension.

Maybe you can see it easier here.... My camera doesn't do closeups very well.
Looks like I need to trim the blue ribbon a bit.
Well... I'm off to put more vitamin C and other good things into my body. I have carpool duty tomorrow so I'm hoping for a miraculous recovery.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, won't you?
Hope you all have a great day!
Details:
  • Cartridges (1st card only): George, Alphalicious
  • Software: 1st card - DS; 2nd card - DS, Inkscape, SCAL
  • Donation amount $1 each  (Donate button is at the top right. Please specify which file/format you want when you purchase.
  • Also available in PDF or SVG format. Let me know if this is what you need.
  • Font: Pharmacy
  • Papers: DCWV decorative papers and colored cardstock; GeorgiaPacific #110 white cardstock
  • Ribbons: green and red - $1 Michael's bin; blue - StampinUp! (Not sure if it's still available)
  • Microbeads: PennywiseArts
  • Adhesives: Xyron, EK Success 1/16" foam dots, Scotch Quick Dry

26 comments:

  1. Jen, I am sorry you are feeling so poorly and for so long (probably because you have that SCAL :-) May I please have your .cut file for your thank you card done in DS, because I don't have SCAL. How are you liking SCAL??? I hope you don't like it. :-) I hope you are feeling better real soon. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Thank You cards! I hope you will feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are sick. I love your cards. I just got my Cricut Expression for Christmas and have made a couple. But since the trial version of Design Studio will only cut Plantin Schoolbook, Im limited, and I only have the 2 carts that come with mine. So I think mine turned out ok. Anyways LOVE YOURS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I really hope you are better soon. Fortunately (or not, depending on how you view it) I was ill over the Christmas holidays. It was a bit of a drag, but I am feeling better for the last couple of days - which is good since I am back to work tomorrow.

    Good luck with the carpool.... Just remember: You are MOM, you are a super-hero, you can do ANYTHING!!!!

    Now go take more Vit. C and blow your nose!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards - how can you be so creative when you are ill? LOL
    Hope you are on the mend soon.
    TFS

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fabulous! Wow! Love them. Please feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, your cards are great. I would love to have the files for both...for the Cricut and also SCAL. Thanks for sharing. mjsmith39@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, these are too adorable. I would love both files. I got SCAL for Christmas and I am just trying to figure things out at the moment. Great work as always!

    Thanks!
    Christi
    mc10t@starstream.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. JEN,
    YOUR CARDS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND YOU ADD SO MUCH MORE TO THEM.
    SORRY THAT YOUR'RE STILL SICK AND NOT FEELING GOOD. HOPE TOMORROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY FOR YOU.

    TAKE CARE

    bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi jen

    hopen you feel better soon, being sick as a mom is hard.

    I love your cards, great Job.

    Hug, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog! I am new to reading blogs, and love your samples. I am a former 12 year GS leader, and would love to go back and make some pages with your paper doll girl scout. I can be reached at kathyc0820@yahoo.com if you are able to share the GS files. Thanks for your beautiful work! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, sorry you got the 'bug'. One of my granddaughters shared hers with me this last weekend. I would love to pass it on to someone else. Even though you are feeling poorly, your work is lovely as always. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen,

    Thank you so much for all of your information. I have had the ds since Aug. but have not installed it yet. I guess I just don't know what I'm doing but after reading lots of your daily entries, I think I will be able to handle it. BUT, I guess I will need lots of updates - I guess I get them from Cricut directly? I love the name books you did with a different letter on each page and the above cards too with words inside of shapes. I only hope I can do that some day.

    svrenna1@columbus.rr.com
    thanks again,

    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen,

    I love looking at your daily entries. I have had ds since Aug. but have not installed because I don't know what I'm doing. After reading your entries, I'm feeling more confident. I guess when I install - I'll have to update too. I guess I do that directly with Cricut?
    Thanks for your entries and information.
    svrenna1@columbus.rr.com
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope today finds you feeling much better. Get some sunshine and read the comics - laughter is the best medicine.

    Like your cards. You've inspired me to use micro beads. I have four tubes that I bought ages ago. Duh, never thought about using my Xyron to adhere them :0)

    big hug
    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I am late with this - but hope you are already well! I love the cards and would love the DS file, I have not yet took the SCAL plunge - I am leary because I am not computer smart and know I might mess something up!!

    Thank you again

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I am late with this - but hope you are already well! I love the cards and would love the DS file, I have not yet took the SCAL plunge - I am leary because I am not computer smart and know I might mess something up!!

    Thank you again

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  18. pretty nifty! have that pattern paper and will be doing some of my own... thank YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried to cut words in a window. Couldn't figure it out. Glad someone is so talented and willing to share. Thanks again, tttthomas@dcdi.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just read you aren't feeling well - I'm sending get well wishes your way! No hurry - when you are up to it I'd love your Thank You files in Design Studio - they are absolutely perfect to have on hand. Again, get well. barbinlakeland@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. May I have your thank you cut file. Thanks. My e-mail is delipa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fabulous! Please send me a copy of the .cut file for card 1. Thank you, scrappincat@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. would love the DS cut files, I dont have SCAL or Inkscape yet...
    anyway they can all be done in DS?

    Steph

    queenof2@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could you send me this thank you card file? I love it! Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!