I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tutorial: Woven Heart Pocket

I had a request to put together a tutorial on how to put the woven heart pocket together.

Cut out the pieces. I recommend using a good quality paper but not a stiff cardstock as it will be more difficult to weave together if the cardstock is too stiff.

Fold the pieces in half.



Take one folded piece in your hand. Make sure there is a clean cut between the two halves. I will be referring to these two halves as "strips". Hold the first folded piece sideways in your had so the rounded edge is to the left and the fold is to the right.




Pick up the second folded piece and prepare to weave. Not only do you need to go over and under but you need to go inside and outside when you weave. Hopefully this will make more sense in a minute.

Hold the second piece in your hand so the rounded edge is at the top (away from you) and the folded edge is a the bottom (close to you). Starting with the left strip of the second folded piece. Slip the top strip of the horizontal folded piece inside the left strip of the vertical folded piece. Slide the folded piece all the way to the inside.



No slide the right strip on the vertical folded piece into the same top strip of the horizontal folded strip.



Now ease the two folded pieces together so that the two rounded piece are together and the square edges are overlapping. You should see the heart shape now. But the pocket isn't quite there yet...

Starting with the outside corner (the bottom strip on the horizontal heart, the right strip of the vertical heart), put the bottom strip inside the right strip. (I turned the heart upside down in my hand to take the picture.)



We're almost there... Open the pocket and you'll see that the one last "free" strip is keeping the pocket from opening. Slowly ease that strip inside the pocket.



Gently pull it through the slit. It will catch at the fold. Then continue pulling until it's all the way inside.



TaDa! you have a woven heart pocket. :o)



I hope I didn't completely confuse you. If so, let me know I'll do my best to help.

Details:
  • All George
  • Donation amount $1 (Donate button is at the top right. Please specify which file/format you want when you purchase.
  • Also available in PDF or SVG format. Let me know if this is what you need.

13 comments:

  1. You just never cease to amaze me JENC... you are just so darn creatvie and talented... thank you, I am going to print this out so I will have it when I ever get off the blogs to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    I love your blog! I found you from the Cricut messageboard, and I'm excited to learn all I can! Thanks for all your hard work and wonderful designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT TUTORIAL. NOW EVERYTHING IS CLEAR. I GOT IT IN THE HEART SHAPE, BUT DIDN'T DO THE "INSIDE" WEAVE. SO SIMPLE WHEN YOU KNOW HOW !!!

    THANKS FOR THE PERFECT TUTORIAL.

    BI

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've run across your blog. May I have a copy of your woven heart cut file. Thanks! My e-mail is delipa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your at it again. Great designs. I would love the cut for the Valentine Pocket,The Sweet Little Bag,and the Tap Top Bag. And thank you very much for the tutorial on the deep cut blade. I really look forward to opening you Blog. I have learned a lot from you.
    Janice
    sevensup@tampabay.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this heart. Could I please get the cut file from you? My sister made it and it so cute.

    Thank you so much.
    Betsy

    email bj.carson@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cool!! :)

    I have an award for your blog here....
    http://froggysfroggaritaville.blogspot.com/

    Congrats!!
    Froggy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, come to my blog and pick up your blog award - www.opiesmom.com thanks charlie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen,
    I have done your woven heart cut file done in felt. I would love to have your cut file.
    Thank you in advance.
    Joyce K
    mtrjandk@cyberport.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen,
    I was thinking of how to make a woven heart cut file - and then I found yours! Awesome. May I have a copy please.
    Thank you!
    Lynnbla02@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. May I have a copy of the woven heart cut file please? my email is arh_01@yahoo.com

    Thanks,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for making a cut file for this. I recently made a bigger one for a "basket" by printing off a template from familyfun.com. It was cute but not a kid friendly craft. there were more layers to weave and I wasn't feeling too friendly about it at first but finally figured it out. I love your adaptation of this for a smaller little treat basket. I would love the cut file!!
    ikennic@q.com
    thanks
    teachdanz
    also, thanks for the tutorial on wordart!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the woven hearts. I was wondering if it would be possible to get the cut file for them. Thanks so much for making this so easy. Send it to majoss@telus.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!