I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, December 21, 2008

All I need is a Tiara and a Cape...

My sis found this cutest necklace at Signals. The sterling cape charm reads,
"I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara,
I could save the world!"
Come on ... admit it! We all have a bit of superwoman in us. Hey guys (I know there are a few of you that stop by to see my blog), you may not need the tiara but you have a superman hidden in you too.

Well, invention is the mother of necessity, right? My sis didn't have the money to buy the necklace for her friend for Christmas so we created a solution....

My sister's artistic skills (She is the graphic designer!)
+ my limited SCAL and Inkscape skills
+ my Cricut
___________+ Shrink plastic___________
= a cool looking keyring!


Yes, I said SCAL. (Thank you Sally!) I have a very little skill with it and Inkscape but I am schooling myself here and there when I have time THANKS to the ever fabulous Susan "Blue Robot" who has some wonderfully helpful tutorials on her blog. Thank you Susan!!

Have you ever used shrink plastic before?? I hadn't. This was a first for me. I had seen some really fun shrink plastic creations and always thought, I wanna do that! It wasn't until I receive the cutest little RAK from Carol which included some shrink plastic items in it that pushed me to purchased some from Charlie to give it a try.

I'm still blown away that something so big shrinks down to so small ... The original artwork was nearly a full 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.




I was a little disappointed that even after four cutting passes with my Expression (Depth: 6, Pressure: Max) my bug still didn't cut through the plastic and I had to do some handy work with my xacto knife. Now, I only have the standard blade and housing to cut with. Have any of you readers that have used shrink plastic with your bugs had success getting your bug to cut through the plastic? Do you think the Deep Cut blade would be better? I've hesitated to purchase it but maybe I've finally found a reason to get it and the new blade housing. Let me know!!

Here's the final product. I colored it using Versamark ink in clear and my Stampin Up! pastels in various colors. I shrunk the tiara with my heat gun because it is small but put the cape on a cookie sheet in the oven set to 300 degrees (F) for about 4-5 minutes and it came out perfectly!


It's all boxed up and ready to go in the mail tomorrow to my sis in CA so she will hopefully have it by Wed to give to her friend for Christmas (fingers crossed that USPS Priority Mail is moving at normal speed and not bogged down due to holiday madness).

(**The .scut file is not available since the artwork is not mine. Sorry**)

10 comments:

  1. I have never used shrink plastic before, not sure what it is... this turned out so cute Jen. I am so sad to hear you have gotten SCAL. I hope you continue to create your beautiful designs in DS, it seems like once people get hooked on SCAL there really don't use DS much anymore... :-( I am sorry to hear you have been sick, I hope you are feeling better. A very merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen!!

    You did a great job on that keychain...how cute is that??!! Hope you feel better soon and keep on designing...in DS!! Ha ha!!

    Sara :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on SCAL! I'm still hoping Santa brings it for me! I LOVE this! My Bible study is reading the book "I'm Not Wonder Woman, But God Made Me Wonderful!" by Sheila Walsh and she talks about our capes! I might have to "borrow" this sentiment and make something like this for my group! Thanks for sharing!! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fablous. I used shrink plastic a while back and I think I still have a few sheets in the craft room. I will have to pull them out and try it again. You are so creative and I love seeing your work. Merry Christmas.

    SallyW

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job recreating it!! I remember Shrinky Dinks from when I was a kid, COOL to watch them shrink. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I have not used shrink plastic, but looks like it may be something I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. I DID SHRINK PLASTIC A LONG TIME AGO. SHOULD DO SOME MORE. IT'S FUN.

    BOY HAVE YOU BEEN A BUSY LITTLE GIRL.

    GREAT JOB AN ALL OF THE PROJECTS..

    BOBBI

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cute... Thanks for sharing the idea of using shrinky dinks....
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG - THIS TOTALLY ROCKS!!!!!
    You are amazing girl - it turned out PERFECT!!

    hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 1st person I thought of when I saw this is my daughter, Sheri. She is a prime multi-tasker and has a lot of pressure on her shoulders. I have not used Inkcape or Scal even tho I have both of them and I've never used shrink plastic. I'm going to try my hand at this. Thanks for sharing your creations they are exceptional. Ladyscrapper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!