I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tutorial: Word/Name books

I get asked a lot how I make my word/name books. The instructions I used came from collecting ideas from others and making several on my own.
I created my tutorial with Jasmine but you can use what ever font you like. The tutorial shows an "ABCD" book. Once you get the hang of it, you can create as many pages as you want.

OK, Open a new DS file. Depending on the number of letters you will have in your book, create that many tabs. I create a Preview tab plus a page for each letter. Then so that I can align everything in preview I also put the Top Letters on their own tabs too. See all of the tabs in the example:


Start with the last page of the book so that you will know how wide your book will be. Select George cart, select the square:



Resize the square so that it is height of the book you want. All of your future pages will be this same height. Check the WELD box:



Go to the Letters available for the cartridge you want to work with, select the Shadow Feature. Select your letter and make it the same height as your square (if you want the letter to be the full height of your book) . Move it to the right end of your square so that the left edge of the letter overlaps the right edge of the square:



Click Preview. If you welded both letters properly all you will see is a heavy black line around the outer edge of your page, and any inside cuts like the half circle in the D.
If you like how everything is lined up, you're ready to move to your next page! Select your next to last page. Place your Square and stretch it out so its the same height as the previous page you worked on but not nearly as wide.

Add your next letter, making it the same height and moving it to the right end of your page so it overlaps the right edge


Finish the rest of your pages the same way you made the ones above.

Now it's time to add the TOP Letters if you are going to cut these out for your book Go to the last page of your book. I start at the back because when you preview the letters and shapes overlap in the same order as the tabs appear.
Select the letter you want to add to your book making sure that Shadow feature is NOT selected. Do not WELD. You will need to stretch the letter to fit just inside the page letter shape:


Click preview so you can see if you like the size and shape of the letter.



If so, move to the next page. Repeat:


Keep repeating until you are done with your book



If I went too fast or skipped something that you don't understand PLEASE let me know and I'll try to give you a better explanation.

36 comments:

  1. Hi Jen~
    This a great tutorial. The screen shots were cut off when I viewed it. Is there something wrong with me? :)
    Thanks, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    I couldn't see the complete photo shots, but I followed your written instructions. Guess what? I designed my first word book with your help! Thank you so much!

    Linda C (Mama Chin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    I forgot to tell you I used the copy paste function to copy my rectangle to the next page and then stretch to adjust for the width. I wasn't sure if you did the same thing or not.

    Linda C

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to learn how to make these books. Thank you Jen. You make it look so easy. I'm going to give it a try.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, thanks for the tutorial on the wordbook. I have made a couple, but it has taken me forever. Your instructions sound so much simpler than what I had done and I do appreciate having yours when I make another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen~
    I just made a wordbook using my daughter's name and it was so easy with your instructions. Thanks again for your generosity. I was able to see the whole page screenshots. Thank you also for the time you take to educate us.
    Aloha,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS AN AWESOME TUTORIAL, THANKS SO MUCH.

    SHAWNESS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial! I've been wanting to try making a word book for such a long time, but have been very intimidated by CDS to get to it! Fantastic instructions!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this. I am not home to try it yet but boy oh boy do I need instructions on this!!! Thanks again!! Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for providing this tut. for us.I really appreciate it.
    barb911 s/e mi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, I am so proud of myself - I just made a word book for my grand daughter with your instructions.
    Yeah Me! Thank You. I will send you a picture when I finish.

    SallyW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the instructions!! I never could figure this out so I appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen
    Just wanted to say Hi and that I was here looking, Love all your stuff.
    Thank YOU
    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the awesome tutorial!! Can't wait to try it.
    Many, many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jen.. I haven't attempt to try a word book.. but your tutorial sure so tempt me to try. Again.. Thank you so much for all your hard work and for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great tutorial jen! Thanks!

    MandyM from the MB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the easy tutorial. it was a lot easier then the other one I tried out.

    angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen. thank you for sharing your talent with all of us. When I first got DS you were really patient in explaining things to me and really helped me out if it weren't for you I don't think that I would have been as inclined to use my DS as I am.

    Kelly Sheridan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Jen
    I had no problem following the instructions ( which is a first for me as my brain has a mind of it's own at times!lol). I made a test one and now will go onto create the one I want for my cats :-)
    Rose in CA
    ps does it take awhile for posts to show up? i check to make sure i did it right but never find the one i posted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for making this tutorial. I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks again Jen for all the help you give to all of us. I am really interested in making a word book cut file and hope to be able to do that tomorrow with your instructions!
    I can only tell you once again how much your hard work is appreciated.
    Thanks and take care!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are the best!


    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jen C.
    Glad to see your still creating even though some take for dihonest gain. I love your carrier file and would like to have a copy, please. Thank you
    Fayrai

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jen C.
    It's Fayrai again. I forgot to leave e-mail address:ftperry@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the tutorial. I haven't been caught up in making these, but these instructions seem to be easy to follow. Maybe I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful and kind of you to do this. I didn't want to bother you for the names of my grand children and now I can just do it myself (that's once I get brave and open the DS box!) Thanks for all you do for the DS users. I've been trying to read and absorb and you've certainly helped me understand a lot!

    Thanks so much!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jen - I left a comment earlier. Thanks for the word book tutorial. I will definetely give it a try. Also, is it possible to get put on the list to download a file? My email is mshetler@aaronread.com. Thanks!

    Melissa Shetler

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jen,
    Thanks so much for the tutorial on word books. I was trying to hard to come up with one on the trail.
    I do have a question, When you first start to put the letters on, do you always use the shadow on them?
    Again, thanks so much for all your talent and shared files.
    Bevb

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bev, if you don't want a shadow behind the top letters, or maybe you don't intend to do top layer letters, then shadow letters are not necessary when creating the page. Personally, I like the look of the page layer peeking out and around the top letter layer. But feel free to design you book any way you'd like. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was always afraid to try the word books, then I saw your tutorial on it and decided I'd better try it out. Thanks so much for your help and all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you Jen for your great blog tutorials - this is one I am going to have to try soon - I have seen so many beautiful ones - TFS your work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jen,Thanks for explaining word books,I've tried in the past and just couldn't figure them out. Your directions are great, can't wait to try one. Thanks again, Kim (wetziesgirl from Cricut MB)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jen - Appreciate the wonderful tutorial for the word book. Will have to give it a try!

    linda4_2, CMB

    ReplyDelete
  35. PinkShell from Cricut MBNovember 26, 2008 at 9:26 PM

    Jen,
    Just reading your blog and seeing all your creations. You are SO SO SO talented!! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jen
    I found this tutorial and wanted to say THANKS!!!

    I have been wanting to try designing my own word book(I have a few cut files for some)so I am going to give it a try.
    I have looked thru some of your cut files and may ask for a couple. I'll let you know
    Thanks again
    JeanP

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!