I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Round Box and tutorial

So today I got it in my head that I needed to try to make a round box. Don't ask me why. I just HAD to do it. And, since it's new to me I'm certain a few of you will want to know, "WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO WITH THIS CUT FILE???" once you've downloaded it. So I'll show you how to piece it all together too.
Here's the final product... Sorry, I don't know how to upload candy corn so you'll have to source that elsewhere.


Ok... cut all the pieces out. I recommend using 110# cardstock or at least really sturdy paper. The decorative paper used on the side of the lid is from DCWV and it's still a little bit floppy. Sturdy but the box is still squishy when empty.
First things first.... The top and the bottom are put together the same way and have very similar pieces. Don't mix them up or your box won't turn out. For the top and the bottom of your box you will have a strip with a zigzag edge and two circles (one smaller than the other).

Make sure you score along the edge of the two side pieces where the triangles begin. They will make folding the points down very easy. Prefold these points as it will make putting it on the circle easier.

To make the top: I put a dot of glue on the back side of the first half of the points then one by one using the smaller of the top circle pieces I pressed the triangle tab onto the circle holding it in place for a moment until it was secure.


Then, once I had glued those tabs down, I added glue to the remainder of the triangle tabs and continued gluing the side of the box to the circle.


Then, you can use either 1/8" super sticky (redliner) double stick tape or a bit of glue up the edge where the side overlaps to secure the side in place.
Then I added more glue to the cup and placed it on the larger of the two circle to finish off the top.



Repeat all of the previous steps to create the bottom. Note: the bottom is slightly smaller than the top. Don't mix up your pieces or the lid won't slide over the top the way it is supposed to.

Here's a picture of what the bottom of my box looks like completed.


I cut a strip of orange cardstock and embossed it using Cuttlebug Embossing folder and attached it around the lid of the box.


I added a scallop circle, a white circle and two bats to the top. Hand wrote Spooky Treats and some swirls with a purple marker. Added purple glitter glue to the bats and as dots on the scallops of the orange layer. Tied a piece of ribbon around the lid. Fill it with goodies and share gift it to a friend!

I hope you enjoy making this box. I plan to make the pattern in several sizes. All the shapes used are from George. Finished size is approximately 3" wide and 2" tall.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sandra from the message board posted her version of the round box. Didn't it turn out great?!!
Read about scoring using your cricut here.

32 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love boxes of all shapes and sizes. The girls at my favorite resturant are going to love to see this one! Thank you for sharing

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all the time you put into these cut files! I can't wait until you make this in other sizes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jen. I love this box!
    Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, thank you for a box I'm sure I'll find all kind of uses for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Awesome box! I cannot wait to make one! Thanks so much for sharing the file.

    mommyof2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok it is me again and your boxes are fantastic! You are one very talented lady! Thanks for the tutorial and the cut file.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen,
    I left a thanks on cricut mb too, but you are totally amazing! This is the cutest little box! Thank you so much for your creations. I loved the tutorial too! Now if I just had some extra time to play.
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've designed another cute and useful one. Can't wait to try it!
    Thanks.

    PJ (Jessie Adams)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE THIS GIRL!!!

    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CUT FILE & THE TUTORIAL!!!!
    I have bookmarked this so I can do it when I want too!!!

    Thanks again!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy! This is awesome. I love boxes. Thank you for all these wonderful cuts.

    Linda C (MamaChin)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great project Jensei. I'm filled with awe and questions! LOL.

    How do I know what weight the cardstock is? What kind did you use?

    Also, what kind of wet glue did you use? Does it make the cardstock wrinkle?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ~craftyKaren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome box. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love boxes too! A round box is just too much! How adorable!! Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOUR GREAT ALWAYS THANK YOU FOR SHARING. SHELBY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the share!!! You are a crafting genius!!

    Kiesla

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing the file and for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen, I downloaded the cut file for this box for Halloween treats for my kids' teachers. I love all the little boxes you've made. I've saved the files for all of them. Thank you so much for all the work you do. I know how long it takes to design some files. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. JenC, thank you for sharing your wonderful files. I'm glad to see that you were finally convinced you needed a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jen you do great work and I love that you are willing to share with us lowly folks with no talent.

    RacingFor24

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your round box! I think I might use it for little surprises for students in my class. Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for sharing this file!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing! This box is too cute! You do wonderful work.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank for sharing this cute box! You are very talented!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. please send me the file for the round box.
    AnnW
    weedmana@embarqmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing!
    blueeyes_tx@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this cut!

    HomewithMichelle@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to have this cut file! I love Halloween! If you're still sharing, I woud like to have it! I just found this site! Thanks!
    Becky in Va
    sb50@embarqmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this box also...thanks for sharing
    tracemine2@suddenlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  29. I truly admire your skills and creativity, if you are still sharing i would love to have this and many other of your cut files. Thank you for sharing.
    Eileen, West Palm Beach, FL
    Qbanqtie4u@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. So very clever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Could I also request this cute little round box cut file from Post of 9/11/08

    Thanks Again
    Linda V
    linda.vanorio@insightbb.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!