I may not be on my blog, but I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mini Backpack

Can't find the request on the message board (Search function is SOOO hit and miss. Mostly Miss!) but someone had asked if the backpack she had seen on Splitcoast could be created in DS. After some hunting and searching to find out what she was talking about (the instructions are hidden in the Demo area so not easily accessed by just anyone) I found some help at Becky's site. THANKS! Becky!!

Becky's small version, based on the original by Scrappin' Library Girl at Splitcoast, will fit the baby bug perfectly! I would have had this ready to go last night but got one of those dreaded RedX 'index' errors and DS shut down on me. Everything saved to that point (90% done) lost. Corrupted! Grrr! Started again. Cut the box out first thing this morning and took lots of pictures so you can see how to put it together.

Needed:
DS, Cricut (any machine will do!) and George or Plantin Schoolbook cartridge.
Ribbon (I used 2: green grossgrain, decorative stripe)
Scissors
Bone folder
Cardstock (Everything I used is from DCWV)
Redline/supersticky double stick tape (1/4" wide)
Glue in fine tip applicator (I used Scotch Quick Dry)
Optional items:
decorative papers to cover plain cardstock
closure/embellishment items
hole punch

Gather your supplies. Let's get started.
Cut out the pieces. Pop out the holes and prefold your items.

Feed the ribbon through the wide set holes on the backpack flap. Tie them in a knot or use supersticky tape to keep them from being pulled out. This is the top loop on the outside of the backpack
Feed a piece of ribbon into the top left and bottom left holes on the back of the backpack. Repeat with a piece for the right side holes too. Now, pull the top ends through the center holes on the flap. Using supersticky tap, fold the ends of the ribbon down and attach them inside the backpack


I used a dab of glue on each end and in the middle on the outside so that the flap wouldn't move around.


Now fold the box up and adhere it along the side seam.

This is an optional item, I created an inside piece to cover the ends of the ribbon.

Now, put super sticky tape on the outside most sections of the backpack pocket and flap

Pull the backing off and fold the pocket up. Adhere the flap too.

Add it to the front of your backpack. You'll want to put it about 1/8" up from the base of the backpack.


Now, close up the bottom of the backpack. Add any embellishments you want.
Voila! You're done!


Is that So Cute or what??!! I hope you enjoy making this backpack style box with your Cricut and DS! And you'll share your creations with me.
Have a great day!!

.cut or gypsy files availableClick HERE for more information.  (Donate button is at the top right. Please specify which file/format you want when you purchase.  Thank you.)

59 comments:

  1. darling thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again! It is wonderful of you to create by request and share with those of us who are DS challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooooooo cute! Thanks Jen!


    Dawn aka nwad68

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the backpack patterns Jen, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I can see so many fun uses for this one!!

    Jen you did a great job. I can't stay away from my computer and my cricut now. LOL

    The house is getting messy. LOL

    Nicole B

    ReplyDelete
  6. THis is adorable, thank you!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son just started Joy School - the kids are going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just the cutest! And the instructions will sure make it easy...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Jen on 20,000 hits. Did you expect any less?? I go to your site just because I like to look at it. I am so glad that you did a blog, you must have been kept so busy just answering requests for cut files. I know I requested my share. Take care dear and keep up the good work, you are very talented and I admire that in anyone.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Cute. I did mine with the template... But DS would make it so much easier... since I don't have to cut the inside lines.. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen,
    This is the cutest backpack ever!! Thank you so much for sharing your designs.
    Angie Person

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable!! Can't wait to use this at my daycare!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable!! Can't wait to use this at my daycare!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do amazing work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing, this will be great for so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenc/ YOU ARE AMAIZING. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen! That is so cool!! Love it!!
    Thank you so much!!
    Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are great. I can only dream of doing things like this.
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to say I just love all of your work. You have done such an amazing job on everything you have done. I wish there was something I could think of at the moment for you to make for me:-)You are such a caring and giving person. I have has Design Studio for months, but have not had time to download or try anything. Thank you for such amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the backpack. Wished I had seen this before my daughter started her new school.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for sharing this file. I love these backpacks and plan on making a few of them for my kids and friends..

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW This will be great for the kids teachers!!-hope I get some time to do it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jen this is just toooooooo cute.
    I think I will make one in a halloween theme for my DGDs.
    Thanks for another great file

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow...I'm very new to DS...I had no idea I could create things like this! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with those of us that are not so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow jen, that is so cool. thankyouso much for sharing xxx love loopylou

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love this little bag and want to make one. But can't find the thing you click on to download it PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This bag is just what I'm looking to make for my DD's Kinder class! Thanks for sharing!
    jewel1967@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jen-- I would love this file. I actually found this on Becky's blog too, but so excited you created a cut file. Thanks again!!

    kathy_orta@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jen this is just too cute.
    Would love the file.
    Thanks.
    mylah_2008@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Would love to have. brwnseystwin@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. It will be great to have the file.

    Thank you very much
    Heike

    Delia110@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jen, I love your backpack. I would love a copy of your cut file.

    Maria
    emaciaz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are amazing and so creative.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi
    this bag is brilliant.if possible could i please have the file my email is cricutbutterflies@googlemail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your backpack and would a copy of the cut file. Thanks

    Bridget
    tbdthomp@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am a teacher and love your backpack project!!! I would just love it if you would share your cut file with me...I would love to make these for my students!!!
    Thank you so much for your talent and time you give to all of us!!!
    jacquie52@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Jen Would love a copy of your back pack file (you are so clever
    Anne
    bassettbarry@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love love love everying!1 I want them all!

    allie060889@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jen this is so cute. I would love the cutfile. Can you send me the Plantin one? Or do I need both to do it?
    sandra.finigan@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Jen Could I please have the back pack file again as I could not open it on AOL Sorry Hope it works this time
    Anne
    barry.bassett@peugeotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi. Could I get your cut file on Plantin Schoolbook. This is so cute. My email is carrie.benoit@ns.sympatico.ca
    Thanks for sharing.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  42. I will make for my daughters class!

    HomewithMichelle@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jen, I love this cute backpack! Perfect for the first day of school! Can I please get you cutfile?

    Grvychic8@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is so cute.

    I would love it if you could share

    Patricia

    patriciaherr@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is perfect for back to school...I would love the cut file if you're still sharing.

    misha_113@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I made this from a template. Having a cut file will be sooooo much easier! Thanks!
    dkoehler@stny.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow Jen, this backpack is amazing!! Perfect for back to school. Thanks for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  48. These are too cute! They would be great at Christmas. I have both cartridges and the baby bug and the E, so if you don't mind, please send me both cut files.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Julie Knight
    rpknight@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is just adorable. My little granddaughters would love them. Thanks for sharing.
    scrappngranny@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Jen,

    Love the backpack. It is so cute. I would love the cut file. My e-mail is: grandma9max@comcast.net

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  51. hi,
    could i please get the cut file for this. i love all the things that you make
    joanneh
    heiderscheidj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. HELLO JEN C,
    THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!! MAY I PLEASE HAVE THE BACK PACK CUT FILE (GEORGE)?

    THANK YOU,
    dj4658@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks so Much Pooh0200@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. I really love this backpack!!!
    would you please share the file with me ?
    thank you very much!
    my email; h.witsiers@zonnet.nl

    ReplyDelete
  55. Jen I lost my file for the backpack when computer crashed, can you resend?
    Thanks
    Jan
    happy2scrap56@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is adorable. Perfect for my back to school party. I will send a payment through paypal. Thanks for all of your wonderful projects. I knew I would find what I was looking for here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!!